Pullet is very lethargic and skinny

RDchicken99

Omelette Connoisseur
Premium Feather Member
Mar 14, 2021
SW Missouri
1BDF20E6-B225-47C7-BEAF-F70FAFD1B318.jpeg
Hi everyone, my little dark Brahma pullet has not been feeling herself for the past couple of days. She is usually VERY spunky, and now she is the exact opposite. She is just standing fluffed up in the run, she seems to be molting as well, but she’s only about ten months old, which seems a bit young to be molting. She is at laying age and was laying for a couple of months but she just recently stopped, I thought maybe because she seemed to be in molt. When I went to pick her up she felt very thin and was much lighter than usual. I just gave her some raw milk and some colloidal silver as an antibiotic, and am going to give her an Epsom salt soak to try and perk her up. I also am a tiny bit suspicious of scaly leg mites, although I might just be paranoid. I did take a pic just in case though.

I would have agreed....

Except for the fact that it is supposed to be a 10 month old chicken.

Those scales look very flaky and old for a 10 month old.

So though the scales do not have the typical raised edges... I wonder if it is an early case? Or.... why else do those scales look so old? Not sure... can't think of other causes.

Also, 10 months old is not a normal molt age.

And a lethargic chicken is usually a chicken thinking about dying. :(

I would put her in a small crate with food and water, and see if she improves.
I moved her to a spare rabbit hutch this afternoon. As soon as I put a spare waterer in for her she proceeded to drink for five minutes straight, maybe some of my mean guinea fowl wouldn’t let her eat or drink? I really don’t know. I’m going to check to see if she’s egg bound ASAP.

This isn't normal for feather feet? Most of my feather footers looked like this, but have always kept a close eye and haven't ever seen issues.
It has been years since I have had feather footed chickens.

So... if you have them, they look like that, and it has never gotten worse... then yes, it must be normal.

Thanks for chiming in.

It has been years since I have had feather footed chickens.

So... if you have them, they look like that, and it has never gotten worse... then yes, it must be normal.

Thanks for chiming in.
No problem! Foolishly, most of ours have feather feet and we live in a very rainy area. Constant mud toes.

I started worrying about mites when they feathered in significantly, but I'm diligent in prevention and have never seen a single sign of one. They must just be extra scaly with feathering.

Molting at 10 months, or even 7-8 months can be normal. It depends on the season, & factors such as stress.

She does seem to have a minor case of scaly leg mites. My Sister's silkie had it worse. His feet were ugly, & painful. I treated with a Soapy water scrub, & a Petroleum Jelly smothering. I used a poultry mite spray on his legs in between smothering. He was clear in a few days.

Because she vomited up the liquid, do I need to be massaging it out of her crop? Although I’m really terrified she’s going to aspirate if I do that. She’s not doing too well, I’ve got her wrapped in a towel and she’s just sitting floofed up with her eyes closed.
Do not make your bird vomit. It's best to get it to pass out of the body naturally with some treatment.

Do not make your bird vomit. It's best to get it to pass out of the body naturally with some treatment.
What do I need to do? I read the article and unfortunately I don’t have any anti-fungal cream right now. Since she’s at the vomiting stage I don’t know what treatments to try.

Back
Top Bottom