Pullet - Just doing So-So - what to do?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by schnebbles, Oct 16, 2013.

1. schnebbles

schnebbles Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2013
    Indian Lake, Ohio
    I've posted on this pullet before.

She seemed to have respiratory issues so I gave her tylan - even 2x a day for several days per a doctor. She was sneezing and had gotten so thin outside, I brought her in at least 2 weeks ago.

She quit sneezing for the most part, but still just eats a little big, drinks too. She is merely maintaining herself. Her poo is green which the doc said she's not eating enough. I'm about to start tube feeding her. She breathes a little faster than my silkie who is inside with mareks.

She's on the couch when I'm home and just stays there, doesn't get down or anything so I know she's just not feeling great.

What to do? She readily eats mealworms if I have any, she is pecking at food right now but isn't eating enough to make her poop brown, or to gain weight. These chickens I have are so fussy, they eat raisins as treats and I can't get them to eat anything else, like yogurt, fruit, etc.

Just looking for ideas. I need her well so she can go back outside before it gets too cold. I don't think she has worms, I see all of her poops.

thanks for any advice!

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Most of these respiratory diseases are viral and incurable. Antibiotics may prevent a secondary infection but they are not a cure. You might consider contacting your county extension agent or state vet to see if you can get her tested, to determine exactly which disease she has.

To be blunt, many old time chicken keepers will cull a flock when this happens. You can keep a closed flock, but I wouldn't expect any cure.

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

3. schnebbles

Jan 6, 2013
    Indian Lake, Ohio
    :( this chicken stuff is getting so frustrating and upsetting. I also have managed to get mareks in my birds.

4. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

Not seeing worms in their poop does not mean the chickens don't have worms. Often you won't see worms in their poop until the chicken is so full of worms that there is no place else for them to go. By that time the bird will often be very weak and will have a lot of damage from the worms. Much better for the birds to take care of it before it gets to that point. Chickens can get all kinds of worms and they will get worms eventually just because of their lifestyle. If this bird has never been dewormed I'd certainly do so. Use something safe and effective like Valbazen.

5. schnebbles

Jan 6, 2013
    Indian Lake, Ohio
    oh, good point. I would have to order that. Would wazine be a good one to start with? or should I go straight for the valbazen?

One reason I don't think they have worms is that one of my chickens who died a couple months ago had her poo tested and showed nothing, so I doubt that the others have it, but I probably do need to worm them to be safe. I had read up on that a couple weeks ago.

6. schnebbles

Jan 6, 2013
    Indian Lake, Ohio
    I read that link, and my chickens don't have those symptoms. No drainage, smells or anything. Just not eating much on the cochin. The tylan seemed to help the sneezing.

The mareks silkie is breathing so rattly I want to just go make her blow her nose like a baby. I might mix vetrx with water and give her a little. I feel bad listening to her. Poor babies. I hate this. When I got 8 chickens who would have thought I'd have all these issues...not me!

7. Judy

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Wazine kills only roundworms, Valbazen kills all worms. You could see if your vet will do a fecal, usually not expensive and many will do this, and see what kind of worms (if any) show up.

8. schnebbles

Jan 6, 2013
    Indian Lake, Ohio
    that would probably be easier and I've read not to worm sick birds on here too.

9. Judy

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
  10. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    I worm them unless they look like they are about to die.

-Kathy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by