Pullet keeping one eye closed

TurtlePowerTrav

T.K.'s Farm
7 Years
Jul 29, 2012
Oregon City, OR
My Coop
My Coop
I have a 9 week old pullet that I noticed this morning is keeping her right eye closed. I can open it and if I pick her up she opens it, but once she calms down she closes it again. Checked her over, no lice, mites, no worms in poo(or blood). She is eating and drinking. She is walking but I have not seen her try to fly yet this morning. No discharge either. She just keeps it closed. I cannot tell when it is open if she is seeing out of it. I know once my hand or something comes into view of her left eye she reacts. What could it be, injury or illness. She and her 2 "sisters" were free ranging with the big kids yesterday for a couple of hours(these 3 are in the grow-out tractor working on integration into big flock) and she had both eyes open when I closed them in the tractor. It did get down to about 34 where I live, but they are on their last night of brooder light in the tractor(75W bulb, so keeps roost around 40-45). I am stumped on this one. It would be different if both eyes were closed and not just one. Someone please help me. Thanks

Take her inside and flush that eye with saline solution. She might have gotten something in the eye.

Someone could have pecked her as well. Unless there is discharge or a smell, I wouldn't worry too much. If you can, get some antibiotic ointment from the farm store and apply it to her eye. I can't remember the name of the ointment I use, but it's white cream, and is very easy to apply to the eye. I know it sounds gross, but it doesn't bother them for more than a few seconds.

Take her inside and flush that eye with saline solution. She might have gotten something in the eye.

Someone could have pecked her as well. Unless there is discharge or a smell, I wouldn't worry too much. If you can, get some antibiotic ointment from the farm store and apply it to her eye. I can't remember the name of the ointment I use, but it's white cream, and is very easy to apply to the eye. I know it sounds gross, but it doesn't bother them for more than a few seconds.

I am thinking she got pecked too, she is bottom of the 3 pullets. I couldn't see anything in her eye but I will try the saline. Could I use Biactrin antibiotic ointment? I used that on my hen that had her side torn during mating.

I am thinking she got pecked too, she is bottom of the 3 pullets. I couldn't see anything in her eye but I will try the saline. Could I use Biactrin antibiotic ointment? I used that on my hen that had her side torn during mating.
Is that exactly how you spell it? Google isn't coming up with anything using that spelling.

Make sure there is no pain reliever in it. Polysporin without pain relief would work, so I don't see why this wouldn't.

Use the saline even if she doesn't have anything in her eye. It will clean out any bacteria.

Quote:
Just went out and flushed her eye out twice. She is opening and closing it. I am gonna do it again when I get up around 1pm. Thanks for the help aoxa.
thumbsup.gif

Just went out and flushed her eye out twice. She is opening and closing it. I am gonna do it again when I get up around 1pm. Thanks for the help aoxa. :thumbsup
Glad I could help you out :)

I've had eye issues in a few birds. One of my girls has a benign pea sized growth on one of her eyelids. I have to keep it clear from debris, but otherwise she is fine and happy. Also have a half blind hen who was pecked as a chick and is blind.

Oh and a turkey who was pecked and has a scar on her eyelid..

Eyes are shiny.. They peak the interest of broodmates.

Flushed it again this afternoon. She is able to keep it open now. She is out free ranging with everyone. Must have been something in there irritating it. Gonna keep flushing it for another day to make sure whatever it was is all gone.

Back
Top Bottom