Pullet laid for 2 weeks then stopped - UPDATED question post 6

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by JennsPeeps, Jan 16, 2009.

1. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    My BR started laying the weekend after Christmas. She laid pretty regularly for 2 weeks. Then she laid a thin-shelled egg on 1/9. The following day she laid a shell-less egg. She hasn't laid again.

She is on layer feed, has all the requisite calcium supplements. I don't think she's molting. Her flockmates are still laying. I've palpated her abdomen a few times and it feels normal.

Any ideas? I'm trying to figure out if I should be worried, and if so, what to be watching for.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2009
  2. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Not to worry, this sometimes happens.

3. briarpatchfarms

briarpatchfarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2008
    Grayson, Ky
    maybe she decided she didnt want kids after all! LOL!

4. briarpatchfarms

briarpatchfarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2008
    Grayson, Ky
    No this happen in the winter my silkies done that

5. chookchick

chookchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    Olympia WA
    Jenss, I think it was the intense pressure on her for so long to lay an egg! I would act very nonchalant, say things like "I love you even if you never lay an egg", "eggs are really over-rated!" etc...till she feels more secure in her hen-self.[​IMG]

6. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    OK, so another question about this same pullet. I noticed today that she hasn't squatted for me since she stopped laying.

I'm wondering if she's in a light molt. Will a hen accept a roo (i.e. squat) if she's molting?

And yes, we do love them even if they're just worthless moochers (haha).

7. coffeelady3

coffeelady3 Froths Milk for Hard Cash

Jun 26, 2008
    Tacoma, WA
    My BR (a distant relative of Jenns, I might add) is terrified of the nest box. She somehow tipped it over and got stuck behind it. Now I find my BSL egg in the box, and the BR sitting just outside the front of the box on the ground. Rethinking my nest box situation in on the chicken agenda!

Now back to the topic at hand, if there's no outward signs of sickness, I don't think I would be too worried. If she was egg bound I would thinking you would be seeing something else going on...especially after a couple of weeks...

8. AK_Button_Mama

AK_Button_Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2008
    Wasilla, Alaska
    Quote:I told my litte polly that if she didnt start laying soon she would be going in the crock pot and she layed the VERY NEXT DAY!!!! smart girl I said to her when I found the egg!!!!

9. AK_Button_Mama

AK_Button_Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2008
    Wasilla, Alaska
    Also could she be broody?

10. vaderschic

vaderschic New Egg

Jan 17, 2009
    Pollock, LA
    My hen started laying. Laid for about 10 days, skipping or two in between every egg. Then, 5 days ago... no eggs anymore. Where should I feel to make sure there's no stuck egg in her? I dont want to hurt her. PLEASE help. Her eggs where perfect from the first one. No soft shells or mis-shapes. They tasted good to! Now I hadn't had an egg sandwich in 5 days. I had to buy eggs at the store today! lol

I feed her laying mash. Do I need to get some oyster shells for extra calcium? I only have 2 chickens a hen and a rooster. I got them back in July as bitties.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by