Pullet laid for two weeks then stopped...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by 1littlefarmer, Sep 16, 2009.

1. 1littlefarmer

1littlefarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Hudson Valley, NY
    I have a pullet around 22 weeks old who started laying at about 19 1/2 weeks. She laid every day for two weeks straight (although never in the nest box), laid a GIANT double yolker, then a soft shelled egg, and now nothing for about 4 days. I know pullets can go through some variations in their egg laying but is there something I should be double checking to make sure she's ok?

2. pixie74943

pixie74943 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Adelaide, Australia
    As long as she has plenty of food and water I wouldnt worry too much just yet. Do you give them oyster shell/calcium supplements? and is there anywhere she could be laying and hiding them from you?

If your really worried, pick her up and feel around her butt (pleasant sounding [​IMG]) she might have an egg stuck, but if she feels normal, and she looks healthy, just wait it out I reckon.

3. feathersnuggles

feathersnuggles Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2009
    Seattle
    Same thing has just happened to my 22 week old pullet. She was the first layer of the flock, at a little more than 19 weeks. She started laying and laid either double yolkers or small single yolk eggs - perfect little VERY tough-shelled & thick-membraned - for almost 2 weeks on a daily basis. Now she's stopped, as of 3 days ago. Today, I tried to feel her, without hurting her. But I can't figure out what an egg inside her body would feel like to me. [​IMG] So, can someone describe it?

4. feathersnuggles

feathersnuggles Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2009
    Seattle
    Nevermind. She finally laid an egg this afternoon -- a teensy wrinkled egg without much color and thinly shelled with a "bald spot" on the thicker end. wierd.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by