pullet laying double yokers

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by happydodgefarm6113, Sep 29, 2010.

1. happydodgefarm6113

happydodgefarm6113 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 25, 2010
    We have two red sex link pullets laying everyday and one of them is laying double yokers about 3 or 4 times a week. She seems to lay them after being given healthy treats or being let out for free ranging. We have a fox that visits during the day so I can only let them free range if I am with them. How unhealthy is it for her to be laying such large eggs? She does not skip the next day either. I have read on the message board that too much protein may be to blame. We have three 14 week old pullets as well as the 2 red sex links and 1 one year old moulting sex link so we feed them laying pellets, pullet crumble and free choice oyster shell. Maybe she is eating too much high protein crumble but I dont know what else to do.

2. Chicken Boo

Chicken Boo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2008
    Glenn Dale, MD
    Is she a new layer? I have read that new layers may take a while to get the rhythm of laying (sorta like a woman and her first year with her period).

3. happydodgefarm6113

happydodgefarm6113 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 25, 2010
    Yes, she is a new layer, about 3 weeks we have been getting an egg a day from her. She is a great hen, and I'm a little worried about these big eggs she keeps laying.

4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I suspect the cause is not her feed but her genetics. You don't need to feed the crumble, only the layer, though. I am guessing you are just using up the last of your pullet crumble, which is fine.

5. gettinaclue

gettinaclue Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Virginia
    I had some double yolkers when my girls started laying. Everything has seemed to work itself out though. I wouldn't be to concerned this early. DH said when he had chickens when he was young, they had 2 that would give them double yolkers every time they layed (unfortunately, he doesn't know the breed). I can't tell you if they had problems later on in life since some neighborhood dogs got into the run and killed all 40 of them in one fell swoop.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by