pullet laying egg under roost daily

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Irmasmom, Feb 1, 2017.

1. Irmasmom

Irmasmom Out Of The Brooder

May 3, 2016
    I have ISA Browns that just started laying about 2-3 weeks ago. One of them lays an egg under the roost every single day. Very early in the morning before I let them out. The other girls are laying in the boxes. I had put some fake eggs in the boxes prior to them laying so they knew where to go but the one doesn't seem to get it. I have this week integrated the young girls with the older girls i have and everyone seems to be getting a long great. I thought that might actually help persuade her seeing the others lay in the boxes, but no every day she lays under the nasty roost. Is there anything I can do to persuade her somewhere else?? Any help is appreciated! Thank you

2. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Some take longer than others to 'get it'.
    Are you sure she's laying early in the morning, egg still warm when you find it?
    Or might she be letting it drop from the roost anytime after roosting for the night?
    Hard to know exactly what might be going on.
    She may be low bird and intimidated away from nests or from getting down from roost 'in time'.
    Knowing more about your coop and nests and flock might help,
    pics and numbers and dimensions are always good,
    but still might not offer a finite cause and solution.
    Fickle Chickens...smh....can drive ya nuts!

3. Irmasmom

Irmasmom Out Of The Brooder

May 3, 2016
    Interesting that you say that! The egg is usually cold when I find it and I have started to wonder if they can lay while roosting. Yesterday there was a "rubbery" egg under the roost that had broken. When I put them to bed all four of the newbies are high on the roost so it doesn't seem that she is pushed aside (at least in that area) they are in a 12x12 horse stall with 4 nesting boxes and a 4 foot wide 4 rung ladder style roost. Lots of room! I did put up a little fence two days ago to see if I could deter her from laying there and did find that someone laid just outside the fence but still on the floor. It was e same day I found the unner egg under the roost so it's so hard to know! I would prefer that she lay in the box obviously but didn't know if there were any tricks in persuading her! I guess w will just have to wait and see!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by