Pullet laying eggs on the dirt

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mrbstephens, Aug 18, 2010.

1. mrbstephens

mrbstephens Chillin' With My Peeps

My BR pullet, Rexy has laid two eggs so far and I found both of them on the ground in the run. She lives with 5 other pullets and 4 adult hens. There are 3 nesting boxes, but only 2 of them get used. I've been leaving the eggs in the nesting box all day so Rexy will see them and hopefully get the idea that she should be laying in there. Will she get it on her own or is there something else I should do?
  2. mrbstephens

mrbstephens Chillin' With My Peeps

3. moondog425

moondog425 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2010
    I have one that lays in the dirt every now and then but most of the time she uses the nesting box. Mine started laying in the nesting boxes by thier self.
  4. Shiloh Acres

Shiloh Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2010
    You can try keeping them locked in the coop a little later sothey can't get to the run. May or may not work, but if you can get her to change quickly it may be worth it. Good luck!
  5. sunflowerenvy

sunflowerenvy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2010
    south/west tn
    do u know when she is laying when be out there and pick her up and put her in the nest box and she should be stay there until she lays
  6. whatwasIthinking

whatwasIthinking New Egg

May 5, 2009
    I have a couple hens that will lay an egg on the ground once in a while. I think its because the other hens are getting a little brudy and might be bullying the others. They have plenty of boxes to chose from. They just pop one out and leave it on the ground. The next day I find the eggs in the boxes. I think my chickens are just crazy so its probably best not to compare to mine.
  7. New Chicky

New Chicky Just Hatched

Mar 25, 2012
    placing a wooden or plastic egg in each nesting box helped my chickens stop laying in the dirt

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by