Pullet Laying Lots Of Double Yolkers...Normal??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by TwoCrows, Sep 30, 2011.

1. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    I have a seven month old Australorp pullet whom after getting started in with laying at 6 months, has been laying every day, never missing a beat. Normally her eggs are on the smaller side of a medium egg and she lays quite quickly. (15-20 mins)

However once a week, she will lay a double yolker. This morning she layed one of these and I could tell by how long she had been sitting in the nest box, it was going to be a double. She was in there for 1 hour and 20 mins, and there was a line up for the nest box as she screamed at everybody to go away!! (I have 4 hens and only one box). This egg was absolutely HUGE. It is a wonder she passes these eggs!

Should I be worried about her? Will she out grow this stage? Is the constant two yolk laying taxing her body? Their layer feed is high in calcium, they get free choice Oyster Shell, which she downs large amounts. I offer yogurt everyday for the added protein, calcium and good bacteria.

Any information would be helpful. Thanks...Leyla [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 30, 2011
  2. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    its temporary....mine do that also, still after 3 weeks...not worry

3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Thanks for the reply!

4. This_chicks_place

This_chicks_place Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2011
    Upstate NY
    My girls have been laying since the end of July....no more double yolkers. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by