1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Pullet laying shelless eggs, having trouble pooping. Please help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by RodNTN, Feb 15, 2017.

1. RodNTN

RodNTN Following Jesus

May 22, 2013
    The USA
    My Coop
    My New Hampshire Red pullet "Elephant", has been acting strangely these past few days. She has been spending a lot of time in the nesting box, but not laying any eggs. Last night she was acting completely normal, just sitting on the roosting stick. And then she sat up and laid a yolk. [​IMG]

My other hens devoured it before I had the chance to look at it. But today she has been spending all of her time in the nesting box, and just a few minutes ago I went outside to check on my flock, when I noticed that Elephant was sitting on the ground. With her eyes closed and her feathers ruffled. I checked out her vent, and there was some poop all over vent, and she was trying to pass some, but couldn't. I put her in the coop, and she is still there. With her feathers ruffled, eyes, closed, and not eating, drinking, etc.

Does anybody have any idea what might be wrong with her? Thanks in advance [​IMG]

2. Hey Isabella I know this is super fast but I just happened to see it as I came.

How old is she?Is she waddling like a penguin?Walking?Does she have grit?Did you check her crop and other sings of egg bound?Is her face pale?
    I'm not really sure what could possible be wrong, I'm not a expert at illness.

3. RodNTN

RodNTN Following Jesus

May 22, 2013
    The USA
    My Coop
    Hi Kyndra!
    She is 11 months old, no she isn't waddling, she is walking a little bit, no, she doesn't have grit, (she always forages for natural grit, in fact all of my chickens do), I checked her crop; completely normal. Her vent feels normal too. No, her face isn't pale, it is still its normal color. But her eyes were watering.

4. Hmmmm, Isabella I don't know.Let me go and check something and I will be right back.

5. Does she have yolk colored droppings or Is her vent/Abdomen swollen?

6. RodNTN

RodNTN Following Jesus

May 22, 2013
    The USA
    My Coop
    No, her vent isn't swollen. And her droppings are normal.

7. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains

8. RodNTN

RodNTN Following Jesus

May 22, 2013
    The USA
    My Coop
    No, I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think she has passed the shell yet. Even though she isn't doing as bad like she was yesterday, (and she is walking around the yard with the other girls, and eating and drinking) she is still acting a bit uncomfortable.

I am making sure she stays hydrated. But at the time we don't have Tums, liquid calcium, or Poultry Nutri-Drench. But our local feed store has some poultry nutri-drench. So we'll look into that.

9. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    You can crush up an egg shell or pulverize it in a food processor, and feed it back to her--it is pure calcium carbonate. You can add it to chopped cooked egg or yogurt, but my chickens will eat the chopped shells fine if I toss them out like scratch. If she had a membrane partially coming out of her vent, more than likely one of the others saw it, and scarfed it. I have witnessed that before.

10. RodNTN

RodNTN Following Jesus

May 22, 2013
    The USA
    My Coop
    I have been feeding her egg shells, and she is doing much better!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by