Pullet laying soft shell with a bit of egg white in them

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jodyb, Dec 31, 2012.

1. jodyb

jodyb Out Of The Brooder

Aug 12, 2012
    Deep Gap, North Carolina
    Tiki, born on May 5th 2012, was laying the cutest eggs. We went away and returned and no more eggs. Her "mother" is still laying. Several times I have found a soft, empty shell, last time with what looked like a bit of egg white. The soft shell was split neatly down the long side of the egg. She seems fine. I gave her yougur with olive oil and some grit in case her crop is blocked.

Please help me on this one.

Jodyb

2. countrygoddess

countrygoddess Chillin' With My Peeps

It's not uncommon for newly-laying pullets to lay soft shell eggs; their reproductive systems are not quite settled in yet. I'm not sure why her soft egg would not have anything in it, except that if it was split, maybe one of them ate the contents and left the shell? Make sure their feed specifies that it is for layers--it will have more calcium. Also provide oyster shell free-choice.

3. JerseyGiantfolk

JerseyGiantfolk Overrun With Chickens

Jan 12, 2012
    x2

I noticed if my hens & pullets got stressed (like going to a show, or being chased by older hens) they'd lay soft-shelled eggs. Sometimes if a hen or pullet runs out of water, they can lay soft-shelled eggs.

4. JerseyGiantfolk

JerseyGiantfolk Overrun With Chickens

Jan 12, 2012
    Respiratory diseases can sometimes cause that too, but since she's a pullet and starting her egg-laying cycle, it could just be that.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by