1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Pullet laying two eggs a day..will she be ok?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by szczur, Jan 30, 2016.

1. szczur

szczur Out Of The Brooder

Aug 30, 2015
    My dominique pullet just laid her first eggs. The first day, I saw her straining in the afternoon to get an egg out, and then the next morning there were two eggs in the nest. She skipped the third day. This morning she laid another egg, and now she is in the nestbox again trying to lay. Is that ok for her or is she going to run into problems?

Last edited: Jan 30, 2016
  2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    How old is she, I'm not sure if you could do anything about it anyways. It sounds like she could be releasing two yolks close to each other. Hopefully she will even out after a couple of weeks.

1 person likes this.
  3. CTKen

CTKen Monkey business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Agreed - particularly new layers need a while to sort out their plumbing.

CT

1 person likes this.
  4. szczur

szczur Out Of The Brooder

Aug 30, 2015
    She is 24 weeks. I figured I'd post in case I could do anything for her. Either she's releasing yolks too close together or the eggs are getting stuck somehow and the next one helps push them out. She is still eating and drinking but does what seems to be a lot of straining to get the eggs out.

5. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    She's pretty young, it should get more regular with time.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by