Pullet looking hunched

dfteason

Chirping
Jul 5, 2020
One of our five pullets (my favorite, of course) is all hunchy. I’m treating them with Corid now because I found bloody stool in their coop two days ago and that seemed the most likely response after doing research online. There wasn’t any bloody stool today. She seemed fine two days ago, then yesterday it was clear she wasn’t when she wouldn’t eat the afternoon treat of oats - normally she’s first in line. This morning she did eat some oats out of my hand, and I saw her drinking some of the medicated water, so I know she’s getting the Corid and maybe doing a little better, but I thought I’d post this anyway in case anyone has additional wisdom. Thanks!

0FCA9E2D-2B3A-462A-8629-961EE5C16A57.jpeg

Does she lay eggs, when was the last time she played? What do yo feed including treat and supplements? How old is she? Do you have pictures of the bloody stool?
She is 16 weeks old, not laying yet. I don't have pictures of the stool. We are feeding chicken growth food, with oats, sunflower seeds, eggs, vegetables as treats - and we keep in mind that we need to not overfeed the treats.

We're new to raising chickens, so could you please tell me how to check her crop?
Yes, when you feel her crop, you feel between her legs, which does people call the abdomen area, and feel it. It is very big, squishy, hard doughy. Keep in mind hat ti should feel slightly large because that is basically the stomach area, so it will be large after they hav ebbed eating all day. You can check it now, and again, in the morning before she has eaten anything. In the morning without food it should feel flat.

Yes, when you feel her crop, you feel between her legs, which does people call the abdomen area, and feel it. It is very big, squishy, hard doughy. Keep in mind hat ti should feel slightly large because that is basically the stomach area, so it will be large after they hav ebbed eating all day. You can check it now, and again, in the morning before she has eaten anything. In the morning without food it should feel flat.
Thank you, that’s very helpful! I’ll check her in the morning - they’re already roosting. I’m happy to report that she’s feeling much better - she was foraging this afternoon, and came running over with the rest of the flock for afternoon treat. I confess, this is such new ground for me that I can get really worried easily. Thank heavens for this website and people like you!

Back
Top Bottom