Pullet losing control of legs.

dacasodivine

Songster
11 Years
Feb 19, 2008
She is a 3 to 4 month old pullet. I think she is some type of Phoenix and is smaller than the other juveniles in her pen. I noticed about a week ago she was having trouble with one leg. Thinking one of the bigger juveniles trampled her or something, I moved her to a pen with smaller and younger chicks. As time has gone by, she has gotten worse and now she seems to be having trouble with both legs. I have seen her eat and drink. The chicks are not trampling her as she is a good bit larger. I don't feel any injury. I'm stumped.

Last edited:
I think it's the feed. I started feeding fermented feed a few weeks ago. I thought I was doing it right, stirring twice a day and watching for the wrong color mold,etc. I think I will throw out this batch and start over. Hopefully it's not too late for her.

Can you post a normal picture of her standing to show what the leg looks like? She could have a vitamin deficiency, a leg bone disorder, and slipped tendon, or even Mareks disease. Can you start some chicken vitamins in the water? I have some experience with fermented feed, and it is difficult to do in warm summer months with mold formation around feeders. I finally quit doing it after 7 months, and frankly didn't find it worth the extra work and the mess. My chickens didn't change one way or another, but I probably would do it only during winter months.

I will have to get a picture tomorrow. I'm at work right now. My son's graduation is tonight. We are having a pre-graduation celebration with the grands right after I get off work, then going straight to graduation so I won't be home until dark.

What I first noticed was that the leg didn't seem to want to hold weight. She could taking limping steps but had to be quick or the leg would give. I checked several times feeling for breaks but found nothing so thought it was possibly strained or even broke but not enough to feel it. Yesterday was the first time she seemed to be having trouble with both legs.

I am still thinking (hoping!) it's the feed. First thing this morning I wetted some feed in a bucket. While that was soaking, I dumped their feeders and cleaned them. By then the feed was soaked so I dished it up and they dove on it! Something they haven't been doing in a while. I like feeding soaked feed because there is less waste so think I will soak in the morning just enough for the day.

I made sure there was fresh food and water by this pullet and watched her eat and drink.

I will be getting some vitamins today, but it will be tomorrow before they can be started. Hopefully it's not too late for this pullet.

Back
Top Bottom