Pullet losing feathers under her wattles

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by FlappyFeathers, Feb 11, 2019.

1. FlappyFeathers

FlappyFeathers Free Ranging

Feb 5, 2018
    Northwest Oregon
    My Coop
    Not an emergency, but I don't know if I should be concerned. Well I am concerned, I just don't want her to be hurting or unhealthy and wonder what's causing it. She's a 10½ month old Blue Wyandotte.

The only thing I think it could be from is chafing from the feeders, which are made of PVC pipes and they have to reach a ways inside. Could that be pulling her feathers off? I've been using this type of feeder for almost 3 years and it doesn't seem to affect any other chickens and the opening is smooth. It doesn't seem like a natural molt and I haven't seen noticeable pecking from other birds, especially in that odd spot. Thoughts?

20190211_123957.jpg

20190211_124230.jpg
    20190211_124517.jpg
    20190211_153336.jpg

Chick-N-Fun likes this.
  2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    In addition to the missing feathers, I notice that many of her neck feathers are broken. Given that she is growing/has pin feathers I sort of doubt that someone is feather plucking her - although that may be happening. Perhaps she is somehow breaking them off on the feeder ? Other than the broken and missing feathers she appears to be in fine condition. :idunno

FlappyFeathers likes this.
  3. FlappyFeathers

Feb 5, 2018
    Northwest Oregon
    My Coop
    I know, poor thing looks terrible!
    Is the skin normally always that red in that area (under the feathers)? It looks so sore, but doesn't seem swollen. I wonder if I should apply antibiotic ointment? Or Blu-Kote? I don't have any but could get some tomorrow. Or just leave it be?

The feeder did used to sit a bit higher and I recently lowered it when I first noticed some feather thinning. But now it's become even more apparent and red. I'll have to keep a closer watch for someone pecking her. But doesn't that seem like a strange target?

Chick-N-Fun likes this.
  4. blackandtan

blackandtan Chirping

Aug 30, 2016
    Thunder Bay Ontario canada
    Is there maybe a hole in your fence that she has found and is reaching out for grass or bugs or something?

5. FlappyFeathers

Feb 5, 2018
    Northwest Oregon
    My Coop
    I will definitely go out and look for something like that. But as far as I know... wait--
    they free range in my backyard frequently and I have a few plants encircled with hardware cloth to try and protect them. I wonder if she could be reaching over the wire to munch on the heuchera plants?
    But the other birds don't have any damage on their necks at all.

Chick-N-Fun and sourland like this.
  6. Farm life101

Farm life101 Songster

Jan 9, 2018
    Florida
    This is how my bantam rooster looks rn. Just started happening 3 weeks ago but he’s fine besides that. I think it’s just having a small molt maybe??? but I have no clue what else it could be.

FlappyFeathers and Chick-N-Fun like this.
  7. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Chicken tender

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Some birds go through a partial neck molt in the early spring. This may be what your hen is doing.

FlappyFeathers likes this.
  8. FlappyFeathers

Feb 5, 2018
    Northwest Oregon
    My Coop
    Thanks everyone! It just looks like it hurts. At least her feathers are growing back so hopefully before long she'll be back to normal :D

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: