pullet lost toenail? ouch

RockyToggRanch

Songster
11 Years
May 22, 2008
Upstate NY
Last night I noticed bright red blood on some surfaces in the barn. Everyone was roosting and no one looked bloody. The cockerals have been sparring so I assumed it was that. This morning one of my sumatra girls was roosting on a metal gate all alone. This wasn't like her, so I picked her up and checked her over. She's missing her toenail and it's a bit bloody, not dripping. I cuddled her and gave her a handful of scratch and put her near the heat lamp.
I can not for the life of me, figure out how that could have happened. Her foot looks fine exept for the missing nail. Should I give her anything?

If the toe is clean and healing she'll be fine, I imagine, but watch closely for swelling or other signs of infection and particularly for other birds pecking her. They may ignore it because the injury is masked by the coop litter. Don't hesitate to cage her separately, even in the coop if necessary or to use blue lotion gently on the appendage.

Last edited:
It's a disinfectant liquid and also masks the wound so that others aren't attracted to the red color. Some hardware stores have it in pet or poultry sections, tack shops, co-ops, TSC, all ag stores. Known as Blu-Kote, blue lotion, No-Peck...a good thing to have on hand. My throry is that once you have it, you'll never need it! Avoid wound powder/styptic on toes unless it is profusely bleeding, tends to make the wound itch and since it has stopped bleeding it's better to avoid that stuff. Avoid aspirin because it might thin blood and make wound bleed again.

Last edited:
Oh..I think I have some of that in the horses 1st aid kit. It's a spray.
Sumatras skin is black, so the blood really isn't visible.
Thanks for your help:)

Back
Top Bottom