Pullet molting in January or sick?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by SIMZ, Jan 31, 2014.

1. SIMZ

SIMZ Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Northwest Indiana
    Hello!

I have a black copper marans pullet that hatched last February, so she's not quite a year old. She's been looking ragged for probably the last month or more, but it looked like rooster damage. I've been bringing her in during the worst of the cold because of her feather loss and this week there were feathers laying everyone in her crate. Now I'm noticing that she looks horrible, like molting chickens do, and has tons of pin feathers on her neck and tail area.

Is it possible that she's molting in January, even though this is her first winter?

She also has bizarre behaviors, like twisting around and walking in a circle, but this only happens when I throw food out or am walking behind her. I've suspected that it's a vision problem of some sort, but now I'm wondering if it's something more with all of her missing feathers.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2014
  3. Clucktown

Clucktown Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2013
    Charleston, SC
    Both my Sebright Bantams are molting right now and will be a year old in February. I have been bringing them in at night as well. One of the hens is also doing some odd movements, such as walking backwards abruptly and scratching at air. I did a search for neurological issues during molt on this site and found others with similar stories and videos of hens walking strangely during their molt. I have tried to increase their protein intake with scrambled eggs and plan to try tuna next. My hens also get vitamins and electrolytes in their water year round.

4. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    A good quality dry cat food is also a good high protein food, but don't give too much of anything, since too much protein can cause gout in the long term. I like to use 20% flock raiser or just give some 24% gamebird feed as a treat. 20% protein should be enough for molting.

5. SIMZ

SIMZ Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Northwest Indiana
    She did lay an egg about a month ago during the first "polar vortex", but hasn't laid since. The cold and confinement in the coop may be a stress to bring on a molt, I don't know. Besides looking horrible, and the occasional strange walking, she seems fine. She has no trouble getting on the roost or doing anything else. I found a thread like mine that included a video, and it looks like my chicken. Hmmm..... They've been eating a lot of scrambled eggs, so I'll keep giving her extra protein.

Thank you all for the help, links, and ideas!

6. PortlandHen

PortlandHen Out Of The Brooder

Jan 31, 2014
    Portland, OR
    I just came on to search for answers for my chickens. They will be a year in March. The Plymouth Rock is losing a lot of feathers + lethargic + she was sleeping away from the other two in her coop (she's normally the crazy/run everywhere chicken + cuddles with the other 2 at night), and the Delaware is just plain lethargic (found her sleeping outside, not normal for her). Our egg production is down from 2 - 3 a day to 1 every couple of days. Weather isn't super cold, mid 40's.

I just want to make sure I catch something before it get's bad. I checked out their vents, no idea what I'm looking at.... but they were clean and didn't look irritated. Clear eyes, clear everything. Hmmm. Any recommendations? I saw someone mentioned cat food for extra protein?

7. PortlandHen

Jan 31, 2014
    Portland, OR
    We also just found a very runny mucous poop outside.

8. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Welcome to BYC. I think you may have some coccidiosis going on. Symptoms are lethargy, sitting puffed up with the neck drawn in, poor appetite, ruffled feathers, and diarrhea--sometimes with mucus or blood. The treatment is amprollium or Corid liquid 2 tsp (or powder 1.5 tsp) per gallon of water for 5 days. Treat with vitamins and probiotics for 1 week after completion of Corid. Look for any mites or lice on the skin. Have they been wormed?

Last edited: Jan 31, 2014
  9. PortlandHen

Jan 31, 2014
    Portland, OR
    They haven't been wormed. We got our chicks from an awesome shop here in Portland: http://www.urbanfarmstore.com/ They told us to come in this weekend and get something to treat Coccidiosis for all the girls, and hopefully that works. I'll also ask about the worming. No mites or lice on the skin. We gave them some vinegar in the water, yogurt, and cleaned the whole coop. The description you gave: "Symptoms are lethargy, sitting puffed up with the neck drawn in, poor appetite, ruffled feathers, and diarrhea--sometimes with mucus or blood." sounds just like our Plymouth. :( She's our daughter's fave.

Thanks for the help! I'll come back and update. :)

10. PortlandHen

Jan 31, 2014
    Portland, OR
    They haven't been wormed. We got our chicks from an awesome shop here in Portland: http://www.urbanfarmstore.com/ They told us to come in this weekend and get something to treat Coccidiosis for all the girls, and hopefully that works. I'll also ask about the worming. No mites or lice on the skin. We gave them some vinegar in the water, yogurt, and cleaned the whole coop. The description you gave: "Symptoms are lethargy, sitting puffed up with the neck drawn in, poor appetite, ruffled feathers, and diarrhea--sometimes with mucus or blood." sounds just like our Plymouth. :( She's our daughter's fave.

Thanks for the help! I'll come back and update.

11. PortlandHen

Jan 31, 2014
    Portland, OR
    They haven't been wormed. We got our chicks from an awesome shop here in Portland (Urban Farm Store). They told us to come in this weekend and get something to treat Coccidiosis for all the girls, and hopefully that works. I'll also ask about the worming. No mites or lice on the skin. We gave them some vinegar in the water, yogurt, and cleaned the whole coop. The description you gave: "Symptoms are lethargy, sitting puffed up with the neck drawn in, poor appetite, ruffled feathers, and diarrhea--sometimes with mucus or blood." sounds just like our Plymouth. :( She's our daughter's fave.

Thanks for the help! I'll come back and update.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by