Pullet mounting other Pullet

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Bree801, Jul 25, 2013.

1. Bree801

Bree801 In the Brooder

Apr 25, 2012
    Utah
    I have 5 Hens and 4 pullets. I have had my pullets with my hens for about 1 month now and I have recently noticed one of my Pullets, Willow, pin or mount another one of my Pullets, Fiona. Willow will get on top of Fiona and proceed to keep her pinned down and willow will start pecking her head. As this goes on all 7 other chickens run over and proceed to peck at Fiona who is still pinned down by Willow. Fiona is the very bottom of the pecking order and I have read that when a rooster is not present that a Hen or Pullet will take on that Rooster trait. My question is.. Is this pinning down and all other chickens attacking her "normal" chicken behavior?? I am getting so worried for my Fiona girl. My hens are terrible to her constantly. They have PLENTY of room so I know space is not the issue. Anyone else ever have this problem? And does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this behavior before my Fiona is seriously injured??

2. sumi

sumi Égalité

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    It's dominance and it is normal, but like you said, the poor pullet at the bottom of the rung could get injured. I'd suggest removing the bully (Willow) from the flock and reintroduce her after say a week. Hopefully this will bump her down the pecking order a bit and she will start behaving herself.

3. Bree801

Bree801 In the Brooder

Apr 25, 2012
    Utah
    Thank you for the feed back. I think I will be taking Willow out of the flock for a bit. She is quiet crazy and a big bully. Hopefully that will help. Thanks again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: