Pullet not laying, no apparent reason. (to me)

MuscovyMad

Chirping
9 Years
Dec 2, 2010
I hatched out pullets in the spring and they are now around 30 weeks old. There were three in total. One started laying around 19 weeks old, has gone broody and is currently sitting on eggs. Another started laying at around 23 weeks old. However the third pullet still isn't laying.

Does anyone have any suggestions for why this might be? She is in good condition, lives under the same conditions as the others.

She was the smallest when they hatched however she is now the largest of the three of them.

Breed is OEGB x pekin.

Ps they have been treated for lice and worms so are perfectly healthy too.

And as for laying elsewhere as they free range, i never hear her clucking or see her go missing from the group.

This is probably not terribly helpful, but I had pretty much the same situation last year. Out of six chicks, five grew up to be good layers, and then there was Little Yoko, who finally [I think] laid an egg around 12 months old. And then she laid another one about two months later. I'm assuming they were hers, because they were itty bitty eggs, compared with the other gals'. I have evidence to suggest that she's becoming a more regular layer now, but by "more regular" I mean more like once every couple of weeks. She lived in exactly the same conditions as the other gals, she was just a late bloomer, apparently.
Now there is a new batch of pullets in the mix, and nobody is laying very regularly any more. I think they're still working out the kinks in their new living situation.

Back
Top Bottom