1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Pullet not laying -- why?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bantyshanty, Aug 10, 2010.

1. bantyshanty

bantyshanty Oval Office Courier

Oct 6, 2009
    S.W Pennsylvania
    One of my silkies went broody 6 weeks ago, I broke her right away, after a few days she stopped acting broody, and now she hasn't laid an egg in 6 weeks. She's 8 months old. Her diet is varied and very good. Lots of bug protein!
    She's sweet, lively, and healthy. She had laid for about a month before she went broody.

What's up?

2. greenfingers

greenfingers Songster

Mar 27, 2009
    Wasilla, Alaska
    Maybe try her on some cayanne pepper in her food. I had a broody I had to break and it took her a long time to resume laying too.

3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    My bet would be that she's gonna go broody on you again.

4. bantyshanty

bantyshanty Oval Office Courier

Oct 6, 2009
    S.W Pennsylvania
    Maybe try her on some cayanne pepper in her food.

Greenfingers: Why would cayenne pepper start her paying?

My bet would be that she's gonna go broody on you again.

New2Chooks: Yep, that's happening to all my silkies. None are laying, they just go broody over & over, with no eggs either.
    How can you cool them off when it's 100-fluffy degrees out [​IMG] ?​

5. pokeytolman

pokeytolman In the Brooder

Feb 28, 2010
    Milwaukie, Or
    6 weeks!? I have a cuckoo maran slightly younger than yours. She had been laying for about a month, went broody for 2 days last week and hasn't laid again either. I was going to post this same question, because I can't find out how long it takes for them to start laying. Does anyone know? Thanks for posting the question, Banty. I hope your hen starts laying soon!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by