Pullet Not Putting Weight on Leg

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by murph2sk, Oct 27, 2016.

1. murph2sk

murph2sk New Egg

Aug 22, 2016
    Hey everyone, I believe my 8 week old pullet broke some part of its leg or foot. She started limping about a week ago and was not putting any weight on it. I quarantined her in my house in a large cooler with a wire top and heat lamp. She's had vitamin B and baby aspirin in her water and food very close. It has been a week and she doesn't seem to be getting any better. She still stands, moves around, and uses the leg for balance but it's almost like it is paralyzed. It won't grab my fingers and the toes are all limp. It is almost like she forgets it is there and steps on it with her other foot. I thought maybe she broke her foot, I am hoping it is not the joint. She was also vaccinated for Marek's and hasn't shown any other signs. She doesn't really lose balance, just avoids putting weight on the leg. Eating and drinking like normal and still very personable. I included a video--maybe someone has a better idea than me. I just don't want her to suffer but I also don't want to give up on her :(

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 27, 2016
  2. ChickenLover200

ChickenLover200 Overrun With Chickens

May 10, 2013
    I'll be in the barn!
    Subscribing, as I have the same problem, but my girl seems to be mostly better after being quarantined for a month or more.

3. murph2sk

murph2sk New Egg

Aug 22, 2016
    Ugh a month? I feel terrible she's all alone in my spare bedroom and I feel like by the time she joins the other 2 again (if she does), they won't remember each other :(

4. Fluffers

Fluffers Chillin' With My Peeps

check for scab under foot, she could have bumblefoot, which requires gross surgery and can get infected [​IMG]

5. Fluffers

tip of her toe looks injured, has anything fallen on it or squished it?

6. murph2sk

murph2sk New Egg

Aug 22, 2016
    That's what I thought as well Fluffers...it just looks odd. I guess that would explain why she isn't grasping my finger at all. I haven't seen anything that would cause an injury but they did just start learning how to sleep in the coop and not the run and I did hear some rustling and peeps in there when I put them in last week for the first time...could possibly have gotten snagged then? And I checked the foot immediately for bumble foot when she first started limping.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2016
  7. Fluffers

you are doing a very good job, not sure what it could be now. that's a possibility...

8. murph2sk

murph2sk New Egg

Aug 22, 2016
    I will update if she gets any better or worse. I'm really hoping it isn't Marek's but I watched like 20 videos of cń•ickens with the disease and it just doesn't look like that and it's been a week and hasn't progressed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by