Pullet not using roost

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Lady Chickadee, Jul 3, 2011.

1. Lady Chickadee

Lady Chickadee Rocky Top Silkies

Apr 1, 2011
    Central Kentucky
    I have one pullet that always sleeps on the bottom of the coop in the corner at night when all the other chickens sleep on top of the roosts.There used to be two pullets that would sleep in the same corner but now there's only one that sleeps down there. I was just wondering why she is sleeping down there instead of up on the roosts with all the other chickens?By the way all of the chickens are around 14 weeks old.I also haven't noticed anything else unusual that she does.

Thanks,
    Lady Chickadee

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    She may choose to roost later on, or this may just be her preference. If she were mine I'd leave her alone. Well, maybe check her legs and feet to be sure I saw nothing wrong, then leave her alone. I've had chickens who preferred to sleep in different areas.

3. Lady Chickadee

Lady Chickadee Rocky Top Silkies

Apr 1, 2011
    Central Kentucky
    Okay, thanks! Just making sure there was nothing wrong with her. [​IMG]

4. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Many times young ones don't roost at night till they get a bit older. And even then, sometimes they like to sleep alone. I have one 4 1/2 month old that doesn't like all the jostling around all the girls do on the roost at night and chooses to sleep at the other end by herself, while the others fight it out for the best spot on the perch. [​IMG]

5. Kudzu

Kudzu Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2011
    I got five and four go way up to roost, one sleeps in the nest box. I figure she is scared of heights, no big deal.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by