Pullet not walking right

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by gknee615, Jul 4, 2016.

1. gknee615

gknee615 New Egg

May 20, 2016
    I'm new at raising chickens and am looking for some suggestions on what could possibly be wrong with my (maybe four week old) pullet as well as possible treatments for her. She doesn't seem to want to walk and when she does walk, her steps are very short in comparison with the other chicks'. She will walk a few steps then sit down. Additionally, she seems to be very slightly knock-kneed. She doesn't seem unhealthy beyond this and is eating well. She does, however, sit when she eats. I don't think this is something that just popped up today, but rather just became severe enough that I noticed it. Prior to today, she seemed normal, but I had noticed she was always the last one to do anything -- chase a bug, run after the others etc. It seemed like she was consciously deciding if she wanted to participate. Now, I think it might have been this walking thing working on her. Any suggestions?

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2016
  3. gknee615

gknee615 New Egg

May 20, 2016
    Thanks for the sites and the information! If she has this it certainly isn't as severe as what is pictured (thankfully). As you mentioned though, it can get worse as they get older. She isn't a broiler but is a Silver-Laced Wyandotte. Is this something that the breed is prone to? I read something about the addition of B vitamins being helpful with leg issues. I am administering an electrolyte/vitamin supplement in the water as of yesterday. This morning she seemed pretty perky, but maybe it's wishful thinking. Her gait doesn't seem to be any different.

4. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    These leg deformities are very common in broilers and turkeys, but can also affect layers. Trace minerals as well as B complex vitamins could possibly help, but I would at least try them. Riboflavin and thiamine are important vitamins in leg health. There are a few poultry vitamins such as Poultry Cell and Poultry Booster that contain both riboflavin and the trace minerals. Some go in the feed while others go in the water or given orally. Poultry Cell dosage is 1 ml per every 3 pounds daily given orally. Some people also try splinting. There is a site called Poultry Pedia Podiatry that might be of help.

5. gknee615

gknee615 New Egg

May 20, 2016
    I so hope that she doesn't have this. Since I've started the vitamin supplements she seems pretty perky although her gait seems to be the same. I feel like if she's eating and drinking well and acting normally (besides the gait), I'll just keep an eye on her. My chicken-keeping neighbor had a look at her and didn't seem to worried about her, which helped put me at ease.

Thank you for the info on the poultry vitamins. I appreciate that! I also checked out poultry pedia and actually saved a link to the site. Lots of good reading there.

6. ambergds

ambergds Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2016
    Utah
    I have the exact same thing going on with my only silver laced Wyandotte! Though her hock joint on the bad leg is larger then the other leg. And now at 7 weeks old it makes her turn her foot in and the hock bows out. She gets around fine but does sit down a lot. She seems to be bottom of the pecking order. I feel bad for her and worry about her future. Please keep me updated with anything you figure out. I'll attach a picture so we can maybe see if we are dealing with the same thing and someone may be able to help.
    [​IMG]

7. ambergds

May 18, 2016
    Utah
    I can get a better picture if needed

8. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I would do some research at the top of this page and on Google for "slipped tendon."

9. ambergds

May 18, 2016
    Utah
    I did look into a slipped tendon a few weeks ago and tried to put it back in place how the website showed but nothing happened. It's not actually swollen but appears the joint is bigger and mishappen. But I don't know what I'm doing and could be totally wrong. Do you think I should try the tendon thing again? I wish I had more experience with it.

10. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I have never had a chicken with a slipped tendon. There are a lot of threads about it, mostly in young chicks, but there are some to look for with peahens and some older birds. Some people try splinting with padding and vet wrap,after getting the tendon in place to help hold it there. Let us know how she does.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by