1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Pullet opening her mouth and breathing harshley

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chicken ninja88, Feb 14, 2014.

1. chicken ninja88

chicken ninja88 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 29, 2013
    One of the pullets in my flock has started to open her mouth and breath weirdly. She also is eating less and her vent has a small bloody sore. I'm starting to get worried. Does anybody know what is happening?

2. FarmerWife

FarmerWife Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2010
    I'm no chicken expert, but she might have some kind of infection, I have no vet here where I live , no one that see's chickens anyway, so I have to wing it. I usually do what you just did, come looking for information. Do you have any antibiotics you could give her? I don't know if it will help your chicken, but to me it sounds like an infection.

3. chicken ninja88

Aug 29, 2013
    Thanks for your quick reply. I did applied some antibiotic Mupircocin ointment (for children use) on her vent and the big sore for the past two days. I also wiped her vent with alcohol before I apply the ointment. I will take some pictures later.

4. byzantium100

byzantium100 New Egg

Feb 8, 2014
    When was the last time she was wormed? Sounds like gape worm. Usually Avitrol Plus which is in tablet form gets rid of it.

5. byzantium100

byzantium100 New Egg

Feb 8, 2014
    Alcohol on the vent I would avoid since it would burn. Vaseline can be used sparingly.

6. chicken ninja88

Aug 29, 2013
    Now she is very depressed. She is drooping, not walking, eating, or drinking. We had to move her inside. Does anybody know what this is a symptom of?

7. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    Have you checked her for being egg bound/vent prolapse/crop issues(either impact or sour)mites/lice?

Sore on vent may be due to other birds pecking her.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2014
  8. chicken ninja88

Aug 29, 2013
    We know it is not being egg bound or vent prolapse because she is not at the laying age yet, and we are not sure what a lice/mite infestation looks like. Here are a few pictures.[​IMG][​IMG]

9. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    I cannot get your pictures to load,not sure if the issue is on my end or not.

10. byzantium100

byzantium100 New Egg

Feb 8, 2014
    Has she been wormed???

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by