Pullet or Cockeral?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by lflynn, Dec 9, 2016.

1. lflynn

lflynn New Egg

I am not sure of the breeds or the sex but I think...

The grey might be a silkie cochin or a brittish tailed araucana (Pullet?)
    The black one might be a French Black Copper Maran ( it is has feathered feet) or a Black Sex Link (Cockeral?)
    The other two looked like chipmunks when they were little so I think they were either Gold Campine or Wyandotte (one of each?)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. GitaBooks

GitaBooks Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jun 23, 2015
    USA
    Nice birds. : )

Top picture looks like an Araucana (or Ameraucana?) rooster, a Golden Wyandotte pullet and a Maran rooster.

The blue one I'm not sure about, but it appears to be a pullet.

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

Are you in the UK?

Where did you get the birds, a hatchery or a breeder?

The pics don't enlarge when clicked, so I'm short on details. But overall, I'm thinking they're all mixed breeds.

the little blue/grey bird looks like a pullet. She could be a British Aracauna, or she could be a mix. Considering the other birds are mixed, that's the way I'm leaning for her. Not silkie or Cochin, though, that would have feathered legs. She looks quite a bit smaller than the other, is she younger or just little?

the other three all look to have lightly feathered legs, indicating one feather legged parent and one clean legged parent, thus mixed breeds. I see two cockerels, and two pullets.

Almost every blessed brown patterned bird has a chipmunk pattern as a chick, so that's really unreliable to tell breed, sorry.

4. lflynn

lflynn New Egg

Thanks, that is what I was afraid of. The brown one is definitely more aggressive than the others and with the red comb I had my suspicions. My daughter's teacher hatched these in class so I have no info on their breeds. I will need to give away the cocherals and get a couple of new pullets. I wonder if I can get some around the same age (7 weeks) this time of year? I am in Massachusetts.

5. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Those mostly look like Brahma/Easter Egger mixes. First pic shows two cockerels and a pullet. The Blue with the crest is a pullet, and she looks like a Polish mix.

6. jbigelow52

jbigelow52 New Egg

Oct 16, 2016
    This is my 6 week old bantam. I was thinking it's a pullet. Can anyone help?[​IMG]

7. donrae

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    You might check out your state thread in the "Where am I" section. Or, try a wanted ad on your local CL or FB is no one is advertising pullets for sale. It is a weird time of year, but someone might have a few to sell.

8. donrae

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

Looks like a pullet. Little bantam cockerels are usually pretty quick to grow those combs.

1 person likes this.
  9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    agree

10. lflynn

lflynn New Egg

Update yes two are roosters and found their voice
    I need to find a good home for one of them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by