Pullet or cockerel? 12 week old Faverolle / Orpington mixes

valper

Hatching
Sep 2, 2020
Småland, Sweden
About a month ago, I bought my first group of unsexed young chickens, 8 Faverolle and Orpington mixes.
They are now 12 weeks and I'm unsure as to which sex these might be. It is a little difficult to base on body size and coloring since some show more traits from one breed vs the other. Number 1 for example, confuses me the most since the comb tells me roo but the body type looks like a hen...

Any thoughts? Or someone here good at sexing these breeds?
Help would be much appreciated! :)

Attachments

JedJackson

Crossing the Road
Jul 6, 2016
NW Washington state
Those are tough ones, but the combs of 1 and 2 are pretty large and red for 12 weeks, so I would guess cockerel on those. 3 also has a very red comb for that age, but as it is smaller and the bird looks to be smaller than the other two, I think pullet is probably right.

I think Overo Mare is right on the money.

valper

Hatching
Sep 2, 2020
Småland, Sweden
I believe 3 is your only pullet. I love this cross!
Thanks!
I really expected all three to be roosters... those feathers on #3 have me stumped. Do they look like saddle feathers to you or have I been staring at her/him for too long? 😅

These little ones are definitely an interesting mix...Some look a little more like Orpingtons, others have odd number of toes (5/4) from their Faverolle genes and the body shapes are so random, making it that much harder to guess what they are.

Top Bottom