1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Pullet or Cockerel - BTJ Bantam mix

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by OldCrookedToe, Dec 31, 2016.

1. OldCrookedToe

OldCrookedToe Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2015
    Florence/Effingham, SC
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Recently bought this chicken. Sold as a "she" but I'm thinking it's not a hen but rather a cockerel. I have no clue what age and the seller said it's got back tailed Japanese bantam in there but was an accidental breeding. Always pecked by hens in the flock and my rooster chased him out of the coop once. This one stays a a distance from the flock and is at the bottom of the pecking order. It has white long legs with tiny bumps where the Spurs are just starting to develop. Im stumped because I cannot tell if it's just a leggy hen or a young cockerel. No eggs and no crowing, but I think this is a cockerel but want to see what y'all think?
    Also any ideas on what breeds are in there alongside the Japanese bantam. Thanks!

2. OldCrookedToe

Nov 10, 2015
    Florence/Effingham, SC
    [​IMG]
    When I first brought it home
    VS
    [​IMG]

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    It does look like a young cockerel.

I don't see any Japanese bantam there. The entire bird is wrong for that ancestry.

White skin and colombian coloring lend themselves to Light Sussex breeding. But if the seller is that clueless, I'm thinking he's probably a mix and you'll never know exactly what went into him. You can contact the seller and see what other breeds they had available, that could narrow things down.

4. OldCrookedToe

Nov 10, 2015
    Florence/Effingham, SC
    The breeder has so many breeds there's no telling. He's got anything you can think of as far as large fowl birds. I never saw bantams there so the Japanese banty didn't make sense to me.
    I'm fine if he's not a bantam and would prefer him not have any bantam in there

5. SilkiesForEver

SilkiesForEver Overrun With Chickens

Mar 24, 2012
    Sacramento, CA
    I'm stumped. To me it looks like a pullet with a very cockerel-like head and posture, as I can't really see any defined male feathers. How old is she/he?

6. OldCrookedToe

Nov 10, 2015
    Florence/Effingham, SC
    I have no clue. I feel like if I knew how old I could say what gender it is. It has sharp looking hackles but I don't see any saddle feathers

Last edited: Dec 31, 2016
  7. Fluffers

Fluffers Chillin' With My Peeps

hmm, the tail makes me think it's a female, but the head seems like a cockerel, i'm gonna go with pullet, but i could very well be wrong.

8. OldCrookedToe

Nov 10, 2015
    Florence/Effingham, SC
    Did some research and I think it's a RIR x Light Sussex, a common table bird cross. I found a cockerel of that cross that looks identical to mine

9. OldCrookedToe

Nov 10, 2015
    Florence/Effingham, SC
    [​IMG]
    Here's a rir x light Sussex cockerel. Same skinny white legs and all

10. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I agree

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by