pullet or cockerel? buff orpington

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Telitha, Jan 20, 2013.

1. Telitha

Telitha Out Of The Brooder

Jan 1, 2013
    I'm pretty sure cockerel, my husband kees wavering........so who's right? hatched about 4 months ago
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. missnu01

missnu01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2012
    I vote rooster. I have a pullet just coming into lay and she is just starting to grow a comb...She looked like she had been dubbed a couple of months ago...I mean nothing there at all put some beak pimples...Lol. And she still doesn't have wattles I can see...She is a very clean faced bird

I'll find a pic of her real quick....

See that? Nothing there at all...she now has a inch high redish streak...so still not anything to speak of, but definitely more than she had...Notice the lack of color as well on her (non) comb

[​IMG]

Here's another from the side so you can see that she is absolutely devoid of comb.

[​IMG]

And he has a pretty nice hackle coming in...so you need not waffle any longer, that is definitely a rooster.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2013
  3. SD Bird Lady

SD Bird Lady Chillin' With My Peeps

cockeral....the pointed hackles and longer tail feathers are not typical of a hen.

4. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    3,000% cockerel nice long slender pointed saddles and hackles plus that light 2 toned coloring on the wings are all dead giveaways

5. Telitha

Telitha Out Of The Brooder

Jan 1, 2013
    that's what I thought. When do they ususally start to crow?

6. SD Bird Lady

SD Bird Lady Chillin' With My Peeps

should start any day now.....usually 4 or 5 months.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by