Pullet or Cockerel?? Help sexing 4 week old pekin/Cochin bantam

briannajustine

Chirping
Sep 17, 2021
Hi all,

I know it’s too early to tell for sure but was hoping someone might at least have more of an idea then I do!
I got this little sexed female Pekin (or Cochin bantam I believe they are also called??) at a week old to put under a broody mamma, and “she” is now almost 4 weeks.
She was from a very reliable and reputable breeder, who I have gotten sexed chicks from before that have been 100% correct so far.
I’m feeling pretty suspicious however that she might not be a female. She feathered up the way I’ve read females do, however I feel like that’s a pretty big comb for a almost 4 week old chick..
I’ve been doing a lot of research and I’ve read that Pekins do develop faster and earlier on then others and I’ve read that pekins are one of those breeds you can make a pretty good guess on as they age and grow out their feathers (females grow their shoulder feathers earlier, wings feather out quicker, tail grows in quicker) and she seemed to look like a female at each week.
I’ve had many other chicks before but never had pekins so just not sure what to believe.
She is also the only Pekin chick I have, and the other two are tiny Belgian duccles that are at least a week or so younger then her so I really have nothing to compare her to as she looks like a giant compared to them haha
Her comb has grown over the last week however is still light in colour. She has no wattles that I can see yet. She’s got a tiny round tail, and her wings, legs and feet are almost completely feathered now.
I’m trying to be optimistic that’s she’s a pullet (though am not overly confident haha), but would love to know what people with more experience in pekins think!

Thank you :)

Attachments

• 683022EA-1BD0-47CD-ACB9-3293945A5FBF.jpeg
    683022EA-1BD0-47CD-ACB9-3293945A5FBF.jpeg
    793.4 KB · Views: 95
  • 81514EF4-A5B7-4BC9-B6F8-74B7EB7A85F2.jpeg
    81514EF4-A5B7-4BC9-B6F8-74B7EB7A85F2.jpeg
    672 KB · Views: 74
  • A9E5FB1B-4486-49AA-A388-83DDBA617DEE.jpeg
    A9E5FB1B-4486-49AA-A388-83DDBA617DEE.jpeg
    704.8 KB · Views: 71
  • 2507461E-54D8-46D6-836A-A3F9BDB74184.jpeg
    2507461E-54D8-46D6-836A-A3F9BDB74184.jpeg
    429.8 KB · Views: 65
  • D907581D-2AF2-4E12-8CED-760D4B00CE07.jpeg
    D907581D-2AF2-4E12-8CED-760D4B00CE07.jpeg
    690.9 KB · Views: 65
  • A1583AB0-6774-49A9-9380-37D5982BFDDC.jpeg
    A1583AB0-6774-49A9-9380-37D5982BFDDC.jpeg
    887.6 KB · Views: 64
Also sorry just realised the 4th photo was from Wednesday and the rest are from today (Sunday)
Hi all,

I know it’s too early to tell for sure but was hoping someone might at least have more of an idea then I do!
I got this little sexed female Pekin (or Cochin bantam I believe they are also called??) at a week old to put under a broody mamma, and “she” is now almost 4 weeks.
She was from a very reliable and reputable breeder, who I have gotten sexed chicks from before that have been 100% correct so far.
I’m feeling pretty suspicious however that she might not be a female. She feathered up the way I’ve read females do, however I feel like that’s a pretty big comb for a almost 4 week old chick..
I’ve been doing a lot of research and I’ve read that Pekins do develop faster and earlier on then others and I’ve read that pekins are one of those breeds you can make a pretty good guess on as they age and grow out their feathers (females grow their shoulder feathers earlier, wings feather out quicker, tail grows in quicker) and she seemed to look like a female at each week.
I’ve had many other chicks before but never had pekins so just not sure what to believe.
She is also the only Pekin chick I have, and the other two are tiny Belgian duccles that are at least a week or so younger then her so I really have nothing to compare her to as she looks like a giant compared to them haha
Her comb has grown over the last week however is still light in colour. She has no wattles that I can see yet. She’s got a tiny round tail, and her wings, legs and feet are almost completely feathered now.
I’m trying to be optimistic that’s she’s a pullet (though am not overly confident haha), but would love to know what people with more experience in pekins think!

I lean toward it being a cockerel but this one is too close to call. Watch the comb/wattles over the next couple of weeks. If there is a growth spurt in those areas then you probably have a male. If not, probably a female.

The chick looks like it could be a millie fleur D'Uclle or that breed crossed with a pekin. Pekins should have yellow legs, not white like yours has.

I lean toward it being a cockerel but this one is too close to call. Watch the comb/wattles over the next couple of weeks. If there is a growth spurt in those areas then you probably have a male. If not, probably a female.

The chick looks like it could be a millie fleur D'Uclle or that breed crossed with a pekin. Pekins should have yellow legs, not white like yours has.
Agreed 100%. Looking suspicious for a cockerel, but still too early to call.

Pekins should have yellow skin. This chick has white skin.

Thanks all for the help and for confirming what I was thinking. I was in denial for many weeks as I really didn’t want him to be a “he”, but unfortunately now at 6/7 weeks old that comb and those wattles are impossible to deny 🤦‍♀️ Devastated I can’t keep him once he crows as he’s a sweet little thing :(
C5497C4F-87CF-469C-9A7E-FAA04C54C863.jpeg

Hi all,

hey, I think your chick is a pullet but if the chicks is bigger than your other chicks you might want to consider it being a rooster. I hope this helped.

Thanks all for the help and for confirming what I was thinking. I was in denial for many weeks as I really didn’t want him to be a “he”, but unfortunately now at 6/7 weeks old that comb and those wattles are impossible to deny 🤦‍♀️ Devastated I can’t keep him once he crows as he’s a sweet little thing :(View attachment 3342207
If this is what a young roo looks like that's half my flock! I will be devastated!

Back
Top Bottom