1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Pullet or Cockerel? New Picture Added!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Coastal-Chick, Jan 30, 2012.

1. Coastal-Chick

Coastal-Chick New Egg

Jan 30, 2012
    I am new to chickens, and raised these four from chicks. Early on I suspected the Barred Rock was a rooster, but was keeping my fingers crossed. However, he is lighter in color, his tail feathers are getting droopy, and I have seen him trying to crow. Lately someone has been making noise (not exactly a cock-a-doodle-doo) around 6:20 am. Since I have neighbors close by, I can't keep a rooster. I had the chance to re-home the Barred Rock yesterday, so I did. (UGH) The kicker is that today at 6:20, someone else made some loud noises! I need help with 1) confirming the Barred Rock is a rooster and 2) do any of the others look like roosters, or could they just be making "wake up & let me out of the coop" noises? Please give your input on the following: Barred Rock (Caramel), Buff Orpington (Milk), Dark Easter Egger (Chili), and Lighter Easter Egger (Clover). Thanks so much!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 30, 2012
  2. jenesis536

jenesis536 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2010
    CA
    The barred was definitely a rooster. The orpington looks like it, too. Can you get a better shot of the whole bird? Your ee's are really pretty and look just like my EE hen.

3. Coastal-Chick

Coastal-Chick New Egg

Jan 30, 2012
    Oh no, not Milk too! This shot is blurry, but shows her body better. Thank you!

[​IMG]

4. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

I can only say with assurance that your barred rock is a boy. The rest all look like pullets to me. Even that BO.

5. smarsh

smarsh Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    lexington, KY

x2

6. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    only cockerel i see is the barred rock, sometimes you will have hens that crow (so i've heard)

7. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

By the way, I adore your EE with the black beard! I want one EXACTLY like her!

8. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    The easter eggers are pullets, no doubt.
    I'm on the fence with that orp. The first pic looks like hackle feathers coming in, but no comb to speak of. Looking at the pics again, in the pic with the two ee in front and the bo in back, it does look like he has thick legs. I'm thinking it may be a roo. A nice full body profile shot would help, or you might just have to wait a few weeks. Roos will always out themselves lol.

9. Coastal-Chick

Coastal-Chick New Egg

Jan 30, 2012
    Here is a better shot of "Milk." She is almost 15 weeks. Pullet? Please? [​IMG] Thanks for your help![​IMG]

10. mother o' chicks72

mother o' chicks72 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2011
    Portland, Oregon
    Yes, Milk is a girl [​IMG] all are girls except the barred rock.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by