1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Pullet or Cockerel - opinion please!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by dannifer, Aug 19, 2011.

1. dannifer

dannifer Out Of The Brooder

Aug 19, 2011
    So I'm fairly new to keeping chickens and in the past I've only had full grown already laying hens. This is my first attempt at buying pullets. But I'm starting to think my gal may be a guy. It's a Rhode Island Red approx. 10 weeks old. I've been doing lots of researching online and here's what I'm noticing - first the lack of tail. It's hind end is blunt and rounded and what feathers that are there are down, not up or straight out like I see in pullets. And the back isn't straight.. there's almost like a bump of feathers on the saddle area just before the tail. Also, the comb and wattle I thought looked larger and pinker than they should be for this age (or am I wrong on that?). The other thing is the black color hackle feathers. I couldn't find anything that said when the feathers change color on roosters - but this one definitely has a ring of black feathers around the neck that are starting to look shiny and pointed... unless I'm just analyzing so much now I'm seeing things. LOL Also, "she" walks more upright like the photo shows, with the back sloped instead of straight. So can anyone else give me a guess here - is this a pullet or cockerel?

[​IMG]

2. ilovemydog

ilovemydog Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    I think Pullet:)

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I think rooster based on the amount of comb and color at this age, plus thicker legs and upright stance. And, it's not a rhode island red, they are uniform color on the body without the black necklace.

4. sdeneen2001

sdeneen2001 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2007
    Bellevue, WA
    I think cockeral - due to the blotchy coloring on the back, slow growing tail and super thick legs.

5. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Cockerel. The feathering pattern and shiny feathers along his back give him away.

6. dannifer

dannifer Out Of The Brooder

Aug 19, 2011
    hmm... well I was wondering if it really was a Rhode Island Red like the guy said. I hadn't ever seen any this light red before - or with the mixed colors. Anyone else think it's not a RiR either? And if not, then what is it??

7. Cowgirl71

Cowgirl71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    He's 100% rooster and is a Rhode Island Red, aka Production Red. [​IMG]

8. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Not an RIR. Barnyard red mix of some kind. Maybe production red?

Last edited: Aug 19, 2011
  9. CrestedGirl

CrestedGirl Polish Obsessed

Mar 7, 2011
    Fort Worth, Tx
    What about a new hamshire

10. catsew

catsew Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2011
    Mine is not a RIR either, but similar, production red somebody told me. But this is him at 10 weeks and you can definitely tell its a rooster.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by