Pullet or cockerel? Orpington babes, 10 weeks

TattooedMama

Songster
9 Years
Apr 2, 2014
California
Hello everyone!! So I am driving myself nuts staring at these guys trying to determine their sex. I bought them at 8 weeks and the breeder was certain they were all hens except the chocolate, who is supposed to be a rooster. She did say that in case she was mistaken I could always exchange a rooster for another hen. My concern with this is waiting to find out and taking her back my older bird I already put time and money into, plus fell in love with, and getting a much younger one in its place (which could turn out to be a rooster too!). I know Orpingtons are supposed to be hard to sex but I would like to get your opinions on what you think they are. Generally her birds all have very large combs. My rooster has almost no comb/wattles while the others have much more but I'm thinking maybe this is part of the chocolate genes because to me he looks all rooster. The other two aren't pictured because I am certain they are hens. Despite the differences in feathering, these birds all hatched January 31st. Please help and thanks in advance!!

Athena-Blue

Athena-Blue
Hercules-Chocolate
Hercules-Chocolate Rooster

Pandora-Lavender (I think shes a HE and it got scrappy with the other lavender earlier)

Pandora

Pandora
Aphrodite

Aphrodite

These birds are about 10 weeks old? I am not seeing any cockerels in this group yet.Not seeing any pointy hackle or saddle feathers yet. All my orp pullets looked like these at ten weeks of age. So I think you are good to go!

In my opinion, Athena looks like a cockerel. I'm not sure on the others, but I would tentatively say pullets for now. Those combs are a touch large, though...

These birds are about 10 weeks old? I am not seeing any cockerels in this group yet.Not seeing any pointy hackle or saddle feathers yet. All my orp pullets looked like these at ten weeks of age. So I think you are good to go!
They would be 10 weeks today. You are the second person to tell me you don't see a rooster. I guess I may be in the market for a rooster soon but I suppose thats much better than having too many roosters! Thanks for looking
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom