1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Pullet or cockerel silkie

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by HeatherTheMommy, Jun 4, 2016.

1. HeatherTheMommy

HeatherTheMommy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2015
    Felton DE
    This silkie is about 7 or 8 weeks old. Not sure if its a boy or girl. Im leaning towards boy since im having zero luck this year and have all boys from my other chicks. Any ideas?[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. HeatherTheMommy

May 14, 2015
    Felton DE
    I'll also add i dont think its a very well bred silkie. I got it at tractor supply in the bantam bin for $1 lol.

3. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    So far, it looks like a pullet to me. I don't see any streamers coming off the back of the crest. While the comb is a bit big, it looks to be non bearded, so that would be pretty normal. It's still young though, so keep an eye on it. I've had some surprise boys that seemed to just blossom over night.

4. HeatherTheMommy

May 14, 2015
    Felton DE
    Thanks I have so many roos to rehome i hope this one isnt a roo too -_-. Ill keep it and see what happens

5. Poultry parent

Poultry parent Chillin' With My Peeps

i have a silkie roo and your chickens head fluff looks more like a pullets rather than a cockerel.

6. Poultry parent

Poultry parent Chillin' With My Peeps

also see if it starts to do things like pick up a piece of food and cluck until the ladies come running, my roo does that all the time

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by