1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Pullet or Cockerel? Why are you so loud?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by windy1975, Mar 27, 2016.

1. windy1975

windy1975 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 20, 2016
    My chicks are 3 weeks old today and I moved them into a 103 gallon galvanized tank with [​IMG]
    heat, food, water, and fresh sawdust. That have not stopped chirping!!! Is this ok? I want to think it's because they are just happy chicks... Also can you tell at 3 weeks if they are a cockerel or a pullet? There are 2 that are slightly bigger and have a taller comb. They were all suppose to be girls. What do I do with these boys if that is what they are? I got them at 3 days old. I will get new pictures and post tomorrow.

2. Jensownzoo

Jensownzoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2016
    Saint Louis, MO
    It looks like you are brooding them inside, so I'm going to assume you have an ambient temperature in a normal comfort range for people. That heat lamp may be putting out too much heat for 3 week olds. What wattage is it? Are they tending to stay at the other side of the tank?

For sexing, post your pics over on the breed/gender forum in the chicken breed section...they have some really experienced people over there.

3. windy1975

windy1975 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 20, 2016
    I just turned the light out to see if they would calm down and yep peace and quiet. Now I am guessing the wattage is too high and it's too warm. I will post the pics in the other forum. Thank you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by