1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Pullet or cockerel?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by squidvicious, Mar 26, 2016.

1. squidvicious

squidvicious Out Of The Brooder

Mar 26, 2016
    NW PA
    New hampshire red 3 weeks. I think it's a pullet but not sure. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Silkie? Mix. 6-8 weeks. One has a slightly larger comb than the other and acts as bit cochise.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I am 90% sure I have a brown leghorn cockerel. 2 roos would be okay, but prefer not more than that.

Thanks!

2. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Your Leghorn is a pullet, no black chest. Partridge type colors can be sexed pretty early on due to the different male/female colorations. Too early to guess for the New Hampshire. For the Silkie mixes, if it's got a noticeable comb by ten weeks old, it's usually a cockerel.

3. squidvicious

Mar 26, 2016
    NW PA
    Black chest? I didn't think that was a distinctive feature at 3 weeks? I have 2 leghorn. That one I'm pretty sure is a pullet the other I'm pretty sure is a cockerel. He has a smaller tail and less back feathering, slightly larger comb, bossy and lots of attitude. He also tends to stand up straight when startled.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Behavior at that age is not a reliable way of determining gender. I've had plenty of bossy and assertive pullets. The chest will feather in black if male, rosy brown if a pullet. You can see the difference as soon as those chest feathers start coming in.

1 person likes this.
  5. squidvicious

Mar 26, 2016
    NW PA
    I will keep an eye on that. Neither have chest feathers yet. Really I just hope the red is a pullet and I don't end up with more than 2 roos.

Thanks for the help!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by