Pullet or Cockerel?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Sparksz, Aug 22, 2016.

1. Sparksz

Sparksz Just Hatched

Aug 13, 2016
    Kentucky
    [​IMG]
    I've posted this same question before, with this same chicken, and was told everytime it was a she/pullet. Well, today 'she' has surprised me. 'She' has begun to crow, but still just doesn't look like a cockerel. 'She' is around 5 months old. I'm very confused, and any answers would be helpful! Thanks in advance.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. cukuriku

cukuriku Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2016
    Interesting, it really looks like a pullet though...you sure it wasn't just "imitating" a roo? Sometimes chickens could be characters you know...like roos that sit in the layers box like a broody hen...[​IMG]

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

I can't view your video.

Looks like a cockerel to me, but can we get a better pic, specifically showing the tail/saddle region? And how positive are you one age?

4. RangerMH

RangerMH Just Hatched

Aug 19, 2016
    Central Florida
    I've heard a dominant hen will try to crow if there's no rooster and it's the funniest thing to see/hear. [​IMG]

5. Sparksz

Sparksz Just Hatched

Aug 13, 2016
    Kentucky
    I have three roosters that free range with her, and she just started doing this about a week ago. I didn't know that hens could imitate roosters, either. I'm still pretty new to chickens, so I'm just trying to learn all I can.

6. Sparksz

Sparksz Just Hatched

Aug 13, 2016
    Kentucky
    I really didn't know that hens could imitate roos. I guess I learn something new everyday.[​IMG]

7. cukuriku

Jul 18, 2016
    Yea, I learned on the job too, and from this wonderful site which has such interesting threads, that these animals are full of personalities, real characters those chickens! [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    cockerel

9. Sparksz

Sparksz Just Hatched

Aug 13, 2016
    Kentucky
    Quote:

10. cukuriku

Jul 18, 2016
    Oops, i take that back, she actually does look like a he! I see the build better now, that looks like a cockerel.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by