Pullet or cockerel?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by albodean, Dec 6, 2016.

1. albodean

albodean Out Of The Brooder

Sep 27, 2016
    Hi All,

I'm pretty sure this is a pullet but just a few doubts as she has much bigger comb and wattles than my other girls, she is slimmer/taller and makes more noise. She is 24 weeks old.

[​IMG]

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Yep, pullet. Looks like you should be getting eggs literally any day now [​IMG]

3. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    x2, should be laying any day

4. albodean

Sep 27, 2016
    Thanks both, was hoping that was the case! She's looked like this for quite a while now and still no eggs, think the days might be too short for her to start now [​IMG]

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    point of lay pullet

6. Cel45

Cel45 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2015
    Houston, Tx
    Pullet, sure she does not have a secret nest?

7. albodean

Sep 27, 2016
    I can't say I've looked but I only let them out of their run to free range at around 12pm and from what I've read she'd usually have laid by then?

8. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Overrun With Chickens

What time of day they lay can vary and usually does. I have many afternoon layers. And some of my girls don't sing to show me where they could be hiding a nest. Usually the first egg of the cycle will start early and get later each day until late afternoon. Then they take the next day off and get started early again the day after that. If I have someone in the box at 4 in the afternoon when I go to collect eggs, I know I won;t get an egg from that girl the next day.

But agreed, she does look close! [​IMG]

9. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Overrun With Chickens

Also, for my own practice.... I am guessing Light Sussex or Columbian Rock, am I anywhere close? Thanks

10. albodean

Sep 27, 2016
    I'll have a look around where she usually goes! If I find she has been laying somewhere, what can I do to make sure she lays in the nesting box in future? And she is indeed a Light Sussex!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by