Pullet or cockerel?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by HHandbasket, Jul 17, 2010.

1. HHandbasket

HHandbasket The Chickeneer

This is supposed to be Felipa, a leghorn pullet that is somewhere around 13 or so weeks old. I'm thinking it could be a cockerel, though. I don't know... I need some expert help!

[​IMG]

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited: Jul 17, 2010
  2. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member 10 Years

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    Leghorn roosters usually have pretty big combs. I would think that, by 13 weeks, more comb would be beginning to show if it was a cockerel. My vote is for pullet.

Here's a pic of a Leghorn hen:
    [​IMG]

Leghorn rooster:
    [​IMG]

3. aussieheelr

aussieheelr Songster

pullet, for sure.

4. HHandbasket

HHandbasket The Chickeneer

Whew! Thank God! I was starting to worry because she has begun to chase a couple of the older pullets around the yard. She is the most vocal of my birds and is the 2nd to youngest and seems to be challenging Big Bertha for the top of the pecking order. I was not sure if she was really a cockerel trying to be head of his flock, or just challenging Bertha for top spot (ain't gonna get it... Bertha could whoop her butt with one wing tied behind her back and blindfolded LOL).

Thank you for relieving my concern! Best news I've had all week.

Oh, and MANY THANKS to the mods for moving my post to the correct forum category. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 17, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: