pullet or cockerel?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by AinaWGSD, Sep 23, 2010.

1. AinaWGSD

AinaWGSD Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Sullivan, IL
    This is "Gertrude," our SLW (single comb) although we have had our doubts about "her" for quite a while (slower to feather in than the other chicks and much more pink/red in the face than the others most of the time). The chicks are 9, almost 10 weeks old now and even my husband is starting to think "she's" a "he" (keeps calling her "Gerald")Is there any possibility that she's actually a pullet, or are we looking at a definite cockerel here?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I somehow managed to cut off the tip of her tail in all of the body shots, but she does have a few tail feathers that seem to be curving, which I haven't noticed on any of the other pullets. Sometimes when I look at her, her comb and wattles don't seem to be any redder than the others, but most of the time she just seems too red in the face to be a pullet at this age (but what do I know? this is my first time with chickens). And none of the others have any real wattle development yet (a leghorn, two sussex, and three EE who I don't expect to have much in the way of wattle development even at maturity).

2. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    I vote pullet. At 9 to 10 weeks her comb and wattles would be much more developed.

3. Karrie13

Karrie13 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    Minnesota
    I am going to say pullet too. I have a 4 week old that has bigger and redder comb/wattles than yours!

4. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Pullet. Sad to see single combed Wyandottes. [​IMG]

5. tuesdays chicks

tuesdays chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    stuart florida
    I don't know about slw but none of my 3 girls got a wattle till laying age and didn't go red in the face either till at least 18 weeks

6. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    Well, I think s(he) looking a bit boyish with the pink comb/wattle at 9 weeks old and the legs look pretty thick in the pictures too. My slw pullets didn't start to get pink at all until around 3 months old. Hope I'm wrong and Gertrude doesn't turn into Gerald.

7. bantyhen'sfriend

bantyhen'sfriend Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2009
    Southern Wisconsin
    I vote Gerald. The hackle feathers look awfully pointy, and the feathers at the base of the tail are curving down. I wouldn't expect to see a pullet that red in the face of awhile yet, either.

8. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    The hackle feathers on the SLW can look deceiving because of the lacing. Here is one of my girls at about 15 weeks

[​IMG]

9. chick4chix

chick4chix Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    So Cal
    I vote pullet. My SLW hen looked just like that at that age.
    I have a GLW with a single comb too, and from what I have read- it increases fertility to keep the single comb occasionally.

10. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    I think pullet. My SLW looks just like that one and I'm pretty sure she's a pullet. The feathers can look pointy because of the lacing but if you look closer on mine the feathers are rounded.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by