1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Pullet or cockerel?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Peanutsmom, Apr 1, 2012.

1. Peanutsmom

Peanutsmom Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2012
    So Cal
    [​IMG]Hello

I am new to owning chickens. These are my first chickens and I am raising them as pets and to have eggs for eating. I am hoping that they are all pullets but I do have my doubts about my BR. Currently I call "her" Sarah. They are almost 8 weeks old this week. I haven't heard any crowing yet. Though Sarah does have a darker pinkish comb and is already developing a waddle. Sarah also has bitten me a few times though they are all pretty friendly. My RIR is very friendly with me and my americana runs but is friendly. I am pretty sure my RIR and Americana are pullets though since I am a chicken newbie I could be wrong but I really have serious doubts that Sarah is a pullet.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2012
  2. allmychickens

allmychickens Just'a small town girl

Aug 4, 2011
    Washington
    Sarah is a Dominique first of all(hence the rose comb)... I am leaning towards roo but still hen possibly
    dominique:
    http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGD/Doms/BRKDoms.html
    Barred Rock:
    http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGP/Rocks/BRKRocks.html

The Red one isnt an RIR... looks like Production red or Sex- Link... and maybe cockeral
    Sex link:
    http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGP/Sex-links/BRKSexLink.html
    Production red:
    http://www.purelypoultry.com/production-red-chickens-p-393.html

Black and white is not an americauna... looks like delaware or brahma... and a pullet
    delaware:
    http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGD/Dels/BRKDelawares.html
    Brahma:
    http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGA/Brahma/BRKBrahma.html
    Americauna:
    http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGA/Arau/BRKAmer.html

3. Peanutsmom

Apr 1, 2012
    So Cal
    thank you so much for the information! I am defiantely new and wanting to learn more. Just a little confused on the labeling at the farm now [​IMG]. I am very glad I joined the forum so I can know more about them.I still have so much to learn!

So am I at least right thinking that Cotton, the white and black one is a pullet?

I am really hoping they all turn out to be pullets though but as I have been reading up the best way to truely know their gender is when i hear a crow or see an egg is that true? and if so are they about the age that they will start to crow if there is infact a boy among them?

thanks again!

4. allmychickens

Aug 4, 2011
    Washington
    The age they crow all depends on the chicken...some roos never crow and some are trying to crow at a day old! That is pretty true except that hens someetimes crow if there is no rooster present. But egg...is a 100percent indication of girl lol that will start at 4-7months old again depending on the chicken. If you take some upclose pics of each of their combs and profiles of their bodies we should be able to help you more. Where did you get them?

5. Peanutsmom

Apr 1, 2012
    So Cal
    thank you!
    I will take some pictures of them tomorrow indvidually as best as i can, they don't stand still for pictures yet.
    We got them at a chicken farm that had them grouped by age, they had a lot of birds though. they told us though if they turn out to be cockerels they exchange. i think i would be okay if 1 turned out to be a roo but not 2 for sure. i am hoping i don't have to exchange any of them though because i am already attached to them. I just went out to check on them and i am still so confused on their gender!

looking up what you gave me and just going out to look at them i think that the red one (Red) is a red star. "she" was the most cooperative with letting me look at "her" tonight.

I have to check on them everynight before i go to bed because they don't go inside their roosting box at night they just snuggle up to each other then when i put them inside they stay inside.

6. allmychickens

Aug 4, 2011
    Washington
    If you are in a place that you can have roosters I think you should have one. They are beautiful and keep your girls safe. If there are 2 boys then g
    et them some more girls! Lol since they grew up together they probobly won't fight unless you don't have enough hens for them both :) i think from that pic you just have one roo Sarah, and if the red one is indeed a red star then it is 100percent pullet! They are color sexable,girls are orangish red and boys are white. I say if you have a roo get him a couple more pulleys so he doesn't focus on those two, he might injure them accidentally when treading.

7. Peanutsmom

Apr 1, 2012
    So Cal
    Thank you for your reply.

We are allowed 3 chickens here (roosters are allowed) but if we have 10,000 sqft property we can have a total of 6 chickens. i don't have that big of property :( I would love to have more chickens!
    So far they are getting along really well. I am okay with a rooster IF i don't get any complaints and I learn how to keep them from breeding as cute as chicks are I don't want them being that I am just learning how to keep chickens and I can't have more then 3 chickens.
    I will get better pictures tomorrow of each bird but I really think Red is a red star because she looks like the ones i seen pictures of. The one thing that really throws me off is she is so much bigger then the other 2 but i think my issue with that is they are all different breeds so i may be looking for things that may not exist with the other breeds.

8. Peanutsmom

Apr 1, 2012
    So Cal
    I took some more pictures today. Sorry they are not the best but the little buggers don't like to stand still long enough.

Thanks again for all your replies I appreciate learning from you all.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. SIMPleChick

SIMPleChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2011
    Utah
    WELCOME! This is THE best site for current info on anything you may need to know, or even if you just want to share a story of anything! Good luck with your first flock! They are so much fun!

10. bwalden

bwalden Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Jan 16, 2012
    Arkansas
    looks like all pullets to me.......but time will tell for sure.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by