pullet or cockerel

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by chicfriendly5, Sep 1, 2013.

1. chicfriendly5

chicfriendly5 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 26, 2013
    washington
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

We got these two blue chocs about 7 weeks ago theu were being raised by 2 silkie hens. I posted picks when they were younger and people said they may be ameracana. #1 bottem of feet are white #2bottem of feet are yellowish. I am hoping they are both hens

Last edited: Sep 1, 2013
  2. viktoriacl

viktoriacl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2010
    Breed? Age? Pics of legs and tail? Neck feathers? Those will all really help :)

3. chicfriendly5

Jul 26, 2013
    washington
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I believe they are 7 to 8 weeks I'm not sure of the breed. The pic above are both of chic #2. I'll try to get more pics

4. RedIII

RedIII Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2011
    Tooele, Utah
    Sometimes the pointy feathers won't come in for a while on Ameraucana or EE boys. I have one boy that didn't show his until he was five months old, at least.

Of the two original pictures you put up, I think the first may be a cockerel, but it's hard to tell. You may have to wait for a little while, yet, before you know what they are. In the two more-recent pictures you put up, the second looks hen-ish in shape. Here's hoping for you.

5. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    The first could only be an ee not an ameraucana since it has a small crest, but it may just simply be a crested breed mix, like a silkie mix.

6. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    I agree, the first one looks like a silkie cross EE to me. And, chances are--if one is an EE, the other is also.

7. Deb B

Deb B Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2012
    Southern Maryland
    By 8 weeks my ameraucana cockerels were showing much greater comb development than that bird, plus they had 3 rows of peas showing. I'm going to say that bird number 2 is a hen. Not as sure of bird number one. We need more pics of that one when you get a chance.

8. chicfriendly5

Jul 26, 2013
    washington
    Bird #1[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by