1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Pullet or Cockerel

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by ChickNanny13, Sep 19, 2013.

1. ChickNanny13

ChickNanny13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2013
    Hilo, HI
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    This is Tiny (Silkie) 8wks

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This is Silver (Orpington) 8wks

Last edited: Sep 19, 2013
  2. Tricoglossus

Tricoglossus Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2012
    Perth, Western Australia
    Your Silkie is too young to tell. Looks pullet-like at this stage but many of them do at that age, in a few weeks you will have a better idea. The Orp looks like a roo to me with all that red wattle and comb at 8 weeks of age.

3. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013

4. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I'd say that your Silkie is a pullet, and your Orpington is a cockerel. The Silkie is still to young to tell for sure, though. The Orpington's comb is just too red for it to be a pullet.

5. Aaisha

Aaisha Chillin' With My Peeps

silkie seems pullet. orp seems rooster!

6. ChickNanny13

ChickNanny13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2013
    Hilo, HI
    Thank you all that replied, not what I hoped to hear but what I was thinking too. The Orpington will be going back to the breeder, would like to keep the Silkie if it's a pullet BUT she/he squeaks when the Orp it out of sight. Checking with breeder if she'll need another Silkie...Orp was a single hatch, I got the Silkie (close hatch date) as a companion, couldn't find anything closer in size. Will wait until they both are 12wks to see what happens. Again thank you for responding...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by