Pullet or Cockerel?

Sam N Ella

Hatching
6 Years
Aug 19, 2013
SW Ohio
I'm a newbie to owning chickens and new on here. I have 16 hens and pullets I have purchased or adopted from various owners and one breeder. I have two "pullets" I adopted, named Twyla and Eunice that may be a cockerels. I got them at 14-16 weeks old and the are now 20 -22 weeks old niether one has attempted to crow or crowed yet but the comb and waddles exploded over the last 3 days. Here are Twyla's and Eunice's pics at 16 weeks and 22 weeks it was raining hard today so they are a little wet. I think Twyla and Eunice are really Tyrone and Eddie? Thoughts...

I am certainly not experienced with that breed, but when my pullets got to about that age, there small pink combs and wattles exploded in size and colour.

They started to lay not long after.

Quite the opposite happened with our roo's, they had big red combs from pretty early on.

Keen to hear more opinions that are experienced with rocks, but I am leaning towards two pullets approaching that special time.

On the larger one I'm seeing the start of spurs its nothing more than a large pimples right now, so I have them posted on CL and are offering them for FREE.

Last edited:
I am certainly not experienced with that breed, but when my pullets got to about that age, there small pink combs and wattles exploded in size and colour.

They started to lay not long after.

Quite the opposite happened with our roo's, they had big red combs from pretty early on.

Keen to hear more opinions that are experienced with rocks, but I am leaning towards two pullets approaching that special time.

Yes, pullets' combs get larger and redder right before laying in general, and cockerel's combs start out red. The reason why I made a guess of two roosters was based off of color pattern. It was based off of color. Barred rock males will almost always be lighter than females, because (I believe) they receive two copies of the barring gene, whereas females get only one (somebody correct me if I'm wrong on this--genetics are not my best subject!). These birds are too light in color to be females, in my opinion. I just though I'd share this information with you in case you ever get barred birds or wonder about the gender of one.

Back
Top Bottom