Pullet or Cockerel

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by amantedelenguaj, Feb 28, 2014.

1. amantedelenguaj

amantedelenguaj New Egg

Feb 28, 2014
    I have five 3-week-old chicks. I wanted all girls, but there are two that I suspect of being males. When they arrived, I tried to do the feather sexing trick. Three of the chicks were obvious females, and two were questionable.

This is my Easter Egger. I read online that a 3-row pea comb indicates a boy. Well this one has that type of comb. However, I read that EE roosters are splotchy patterned and have red near the shoulders and breast. This one seems to be feathering in a consistent pattern. What do you think, boy or girl?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The other chick is a Black Australorp. This chick is feathering slower than all the other chick. Its feathering rate is about 9 days behind all the others. However, it has the largest comb and it is turning red. Boy or girl???
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. JLfarm

JLfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2013
    Rayne lousiana
    I would say they r both males. I read on here once that males feather slower than females.
    Well I hope this helped

3. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Overrun With Chickens

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    I would wait a few more weeks

4. Homie Four

Homie Four Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2014
    Oregon
    Maybe a pullet and a cockerel, but you may wanna wait a little bit longer.

5. amantedelenguaj

amantedelenguaj New Egg

Feb 28, 2014
    Thanks everyone!

[​IMG]

I will wait 2 more weeks and post again to see what you think. Although, I didn't want any roosters, I am prepared to try and keep one rooster. But, I definitely cannot keep two: my neighbors would run me out of the neighborhood. Best case scenario, both are girls. Tolerable scenario, a boy and a girl. Evasive action if two are boys.

6. amantedelenguaj

amantedelenguaj New Egg

Feb 28, 2014
    If you want to know something, go directly to the source. I came home from work and checked on my chicks. The Easter Egger flew up to see me, as usual. Then he started belting out a series of crows that sounded like a sick turkey trying to gobble his last requests. I'm pretty sure the Black Australorp is a cock too. Darn!!!

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. 2nd picture is a boy

8. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    Just so you (and others in this thread) know, feather sexing does not work on all (or even most) chicks. You have to have a chick that's a result of a slow feathering male over a fast feathering female, and the differences only exist for a day or two--after that, the gender-based differences disappear. You'll only find production birds like white Leghorns that have been bred for this trait, and you can't tell by looking at the chick whether it's been bred this way.

It's a great way to sex birds, but is mostly only useful to hatcheries.

9. Fifth picture also is a boy in your first post

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by