Pullet or Cockrel

Aquamarine

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jun 26, 2014
Northeast, Indiana
Again with the black Australorp question of gender. I bought them at TSC, sold as 'pullets' my husband swears they're roos, I just think it's the breed. We've got buff orpingtons and silved laced wyandottes and none of them have the combs these ladies do, but again they're different breeds. So I don't feel it's fair to compare them. To the best of my knowledge these 'ladies' are 7/8 weeks old. Thanks for your input.

Second and Third picture, same bird, Fouth is the other chicken.

welcome-byc.gif

Doesn't really matter the breed, any bird at this age with that much red comb is male, sorry. Maybe you were at the same TSC as the poster on this thread

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/newestpost/901611

she got a boatload of Aussie roosters, too. Same thing I told her...if those were sold as sexed pullets, call TSC and make a fuss. They just keep doing this cause no one holds them accountable.

Wow! I don't mind having one roo, and we actually talking about getting one. I know they're beneficial to the flock, especially if I let them free range. Can both be kept peacefully? Dangit, I've heard so many good things about Aussie's laying abilities and I really wanted 8 laying hens. We eat half a dozen eggs a day easily in this family. lol.
I don't think I still have the receipt. They were marked as pullets. Thank you.

It's official. They are cockrels. I heard the saddest attempt at crowing I've ever heard this morning. I ordered two more pullets online so hopefully they truly will be. Thanks everyone

Back
Top Bottom