Pullet or Hen - super tiny eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by farmgirlwanabe, Nov 24, 2009.

1. farmgirlwanabe

farmgirlwanabe Out Of The Brooder

Sep 3, 2009
    I just introduced 4 chicks to the coop. They are 8 weeks and growing FAST. Yesterday I found a tiny tiny yolkless egg. 1/3 of the size of a golf ball. Is it possible that it came from one of the pullets or is it just a freak thing that one of the hens laid? I have Red Stars and White Leghorns and usually their eggs are large to extra large. I've read that pullets won't start to lay until at least 20 weeks but maybe this was just a practice one? It seems WAY too early!

2. TriciaHowe

TriciaHowe Mother Hen

Nov 11, 2008
    Trenton, FL
    I would say just a yolkless egg from one of the established hens. 8 wks is really to early for the pullets (as you already know LOL).
    [​IMG]

3. farmgirlwanabe

farmgirlwanabe Out Of The Brooder

Sep 3, 2009
    If it is just a yolkless egg from one of the hens, should I be worried? The shell is paper thin. I already give them ground oyster shell.

4. twister

twister Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2009
    Mississippi
    i think the shell-less thing just happens every once in a blue moon. you can also supplement calcium w. cheese, crushed egg shells fed back to them, and my all time fav--- yogurt!

5. Sugar Sand Farm

Sugar Sand Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2007
    North Florida
    probabally just a fart egg. Nothing to worry about My granddaughter collects them and lets them dry out on the windowsill. If you are worried do a search on fart eggs. Even my ducks have one sometimes.lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by