Pullet or Roo? (UPDATED PHOTOS)

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by CorvidLady, Oct 10, 2014.

1. CorvidLady

CorvidLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2014
    Hello everyone, I posted here several weeks ago asking your best guess as to the gender of a trio of 13/14 week old chickens, 2 Ameraucanas and a GLW.
    I'm about 99% certain that the Wyandotte is a roo, and pretty sure that our blue Ameraucana is a hen, but the black Ameraucana is giving me pause.
    She's very large compared to the others, even larger than the GLW. I may be returning the roo this weekend, and I just want to avoid a second hour long trip if I can. Lol

Looking forward to your opinions!

Thank you!

[​IMG]

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    We'll need closer photos of each individual bird to tell for sure. The black Ameraucana does appear to have some suspicious looking tail feathers, but I can't tell for sure. From here, the Blue Ameraucana does look like a possible pullet. I can't see the Wyandotte well enough.

3. CorvidLady

Mar 9, 2014
    I realized after uploading that this probably wasn't the best photo. I'll try and grab done better ones.

4. CorvidLady

Mar 9, 2014
    GLW (Roo, right?):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Black Ameraucana (?):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Blue Ameraucana (Fairly sure this is a hen):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    The Wyandotte is a rooster. The Blue Ameraucana is a pullet. For now, I'm thinking pullet on the Black Ameraucana.

6. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Yes, the Golden Laced Wyandotte is a rooster. I'm thinking the other two are pullets, for now.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2014
  7. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    Yes, golden laced Wyandotte is a rooster and I don't like all that red on a 13/14 week old bird. To me that says rooster, but I'm not seeing any feathers to back it up. Black is hard...

8. CorvidLady

Mar 9, 2014
    Thanks everyone. The chickens are actually closer to 20 weeks now (in these photos). They were about 13 weeks when I first posted them. :)

I'm hoping that the black hen is just displaying more red because she's getting close to laying. ;)

9. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I think the glw is your only cockerel.

10. CorvidLady

Mar 9, 2014
    That'd be a relief. I hope so!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by