Pullet or Roo? (UPDATED PHOTOS)

CorvidLady

Chirping
5 Years
Mar 9, 2014
Hello everyone, I posted here several weeks ago asking your best guess as to the gender of a trio of 13/14 week old chickens, 2 Ameraucanas and a GLW.
I'm about 99% certain that the Wyandotte is a roo, and pretty sure that our blue Ameraucana is a hen, but the black Ameraucana is giving me pause.
She's very large compared to the others, even larger than the GLW. I may be returning the roo this weekend, and I just want to avoid a second hour long trip if I can. Lol

Looking forward to your opinions!

Thank you!

We'll need closer photos of each individual bird to tell for sure. The black Ameraucana does appear to have some suspicious looking tail feathers, but I can't tell for sure. From here, the Blue Ameraucana does look like a possible pullet. I can't see the Wyandotte well enough.

I realized after uploading that this probably wasn't the best photo. I'll try and grab done better ones.

GLW (Roo, right?):

Black Ameraucana (?):

Blue Ameraucana (Fairly sure this is a hen):

The Wyandotte is a rooster. The Blue Ameraucana is a pullet. For now, I'm thinking pullet on the Black Ameraucana.

Yes, the Golden Laced Wyandotte is a rooster. I'm thinking the other two are pullets, for now.

Last edited:
Yes, golden laced Wyandotte is a rooster and I don't like all that red on a 13/14 week old bird. To me that says rooster, but I'm not seeing any feathers to back it up. Black is hard...

Thanks everyone. The chickens are actually closer to 20 weeks now (in these photos). They were about 13 weeks when I first posted them. :)

I'm hoping that the black hen is just displaying more red because she's getting close to laying. ;)

Back
Top Bottom