Pullet or Roo?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by DesiLee13, Apr 26, 2016.

1. DesiLee13

DesiLee13 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2016
    Kansas City, MO
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    My Barred Rock was purchased from a Tractor Supply store from the "pullet only" bin, but I fear the odds were not in my favor? I am new to all this, so am not good at knowing the sex. I have looked at multiple pictures of both and am torn.

2. chickenjunkies

chickenjunkies New Egg

Apr 25, 2016
    FRANKLIN KY
    Im new at this to i just purchased a barred rock also and was told it was a pullet he showed me why. The white spot on the back of its head is just that its a spot. He said if it was a roo it would be a white srip down its neck. Mine is little over 4 weeks old and doesnt have that big of comb either.

3. unionhillchix

unionhillchix Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2014
    canon ga
    How old is he/she? I would say roo but not 100% sure.

4. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Too young to be certain, but it's definitely developing a lot of comb and a lot of white plumage for a pullet.

TSC is... untrustworthy. I've heard of many times when they've sold straight run birds as pullets or simply unlabeled.

5. DesiLee13

DesiLee13 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2016
    Kansas City, MO
    I really am unsure on the age. We purchased him/her about 2 weeks ago.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2016
  6. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 November....... my favorite month Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    Whoever told you that needs to stop telling people that. Barred Rocks all have dots even if they are male or female. Oh and [​IMG].

@DesiLee13 I would say it is a cockerel but you can't be a 100% sure at this age.

7. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

x2. While there are some minor differences between the head spots of BR cockerels and pullets, they are minor, only obvious to the distinguished eye, and generally only accurately seen in breeder/heritage stock birds.

8. ChickenLover200

ChickenLover200 Overrun With Chickens

May 10, 2013
    I'll be in the barn!
    X2
    Looks like cockerel...

9. brozki

brozki Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2016
    I am 100% certain that is a Cockerel... that comb is so pronounced and it will only get bigger.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by