Pullet or Roo?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by frgntd, Sep 14, 2016.

1. frgntd

frgntd Out Of The Brooder

May 8, 2013
    Delaware, OH
    I've been noticing for many weeks that one of my 14 week old White Plymouth Rocks is larger and more developed than her 2 sisters, but didn't put it all together until last night when I saw the longer tail feathers. They are supposed to be laying hens, but I'm pretty sure that this one won't be laying eggs! I've included a pix with one of the others for comparison. What do you think????

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Mcfly76

Mcfly76 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 4, 2015
    Rooster

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Yep, that's a cockerel.

4. BaileyMChicks

BaileyMChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2015
    Wisconsin
    The other white one in the first pic, from what I can tell, has a pretty red face for 3 and a half months old...

5. BaileyMChicks

May 8, 2015
    Wisconsin
    But the one you asked about is a rooster.

6. frgntd

frgntd Out Of The Brooder

May 8, 2013
    Delaware, OH
    So, when will I hear my first crowing? I have 6 hens that are 3 yrs old and lay intermittently. Along with this cockerel, I have 7 14 week old pullets (I hope!). Any pointers? I didn't expect this.....

7. BaileyMChicks

May 8, 2015
    Wisconsin
    Depends for the crowing. I've had roosters who were almost a year old before they started to crow, and right now I have two little bantam cross cockerels I hatched out about 2 months ago who started crowing at 1 1/2 to 2 weeks old. It just depends. For me it seems like bantam roosters start to crow earlier than Large Fowl roosters. For my banty boys, I usually hear their first crow at around 4 months old. My large fowl boys normally don't start crowing until about 5 to 6 months old, sometimes older. For me so far it has been about 2 months before their female hatch mates started laying. But this is just the average for what I have experienced. Some people may say differently.

8. jessschlles4

jessschlles4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2016
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Hi All, I have 3 chickens I'd like to play Roo or Hen with. Please share your thoughts. All are older than 10 weeks. Brown is supposed to be an ameracauna, grey-black one is English Orpington- and a silkie. Ameracauna and English Orp have testy attitudes and sound they they are attempting crowing each morning. Silkie is anti social and the wattles and comb are starting to enlarge. Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 14, 2016
  9. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon

I think the Orpington is a cockerel.
    The Easter egger is a pullet
    I'm not positive, but I'm thinking cockerel on the silkie.

1 person likes this.
  10. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    agree with donrae. Re:silkie, I usually ask for a face forward photo with crest pulled back to display comb. But, your guy has such a big goose egg for a comb, I don't think it's necessary.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by