1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Pullet or Roo??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by ChickenDog0421, Mar 7, 2017.

1. ChickenDog0421

ChickenDog0421 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2016
    Washington
    Hi everyone, I just got 8 new chicks on friday and I love them! I'm just a little bit concerned about one being a roo though. They're only 4-5 days old but she/he is growing so much faster then the rest and already has a kind of a larger comb and larger feathers for her/his wings. I don't know if it's to early to tell though, maybe I'm just paranoid. She/he is a White Leghorn. Please let me know your opinions :)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Ducks4us

Ducks4us Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2015
    North Idaho
    Did you buy pullets? Or straight run?
    I dont see any reason to beleive its a boy yet. In my experience the girls always feather in faster.
    Lehorns also have very large combs in the hens. And seem to mature faster than other breeds. I would say too early to tell :)

3. ChickenDog0421

Apr 6, 2016
    Washington
    @Ducks4us Yes we did buy all pullets, so I'm hoping that Leghorns just mature a little faster :) I'm already very attached to her so hopefully she's a she haha thank you for your opinion, I appreciate it! I will post pictures when she gets a little older!

4. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Leghorns of production lines do mature very quickly - and there is nothing particularly "cockerelish" about this bird at this point - they are a breed know for large, floppy combs and this starts with relatively "early" development in young birds which frequently causes alarm in those keeping them. This bird may still end up being male, but at this point there is nothing about the photos that would cause me a moment's concern.

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    pullet for now

6. ChickenDog0421

Apr 6, 2016
    Washington
    @Ol Grey MareThank you! Very helpful and makes me feel less worried and stressed about it :)

Last edited: Mar 8, 2017
  7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    This.

Leghorn cockerels generally have red in their combs by 6-7 weeks. Females get larger combs than other breeds, but they stay pink/fleshy colored until 4+ months. They do tend to freak folks out, thinking they have a cockerel. Post again around 5-6 weeks, we should be able to say for sure at that point.

8. ChickenDog0421

Apr 6, 2016
    Washington
    @donrae Okay, I will keep an eye on the color and then post again when she gets older :) Thank you!

9. djnruben

djnruben Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2016
    [​IMG][​IMG][/IMG][​IMG] pullet/ roo?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by